• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Analyst: iPhone 5 on Sprint very likely this year

Reaction score
Analyst: iPhone 5 on Sprint very likely this year

iphone5-leak3.jpg
An iPhone on Sprint is now very likely to arrive this year, Citadel Securities analyst Shing Yin said in a research note Wednesday. He didn't touch on the mounting leaks themselves but said there were several factors that made it a strong candidate. Among them were Verizon's end to unlimited data; with Sprint the only true unlimited data provider left, Apple likely wants to have a carrier that can show all its real features, Yin said....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If this is true, I will finally have a good enough reason to leave AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yet another reason to hang onto my 3GS for a while longer?

Reaction score
Yet another reason to hang onto my 3GS for a while longer?

Ha! Exactly what I thought. I figure I can hold onto my 3GS until January but after that, I've got to go up to a 4. Hoping for some new hardware come Sept!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7
I hope t-mobile gets it too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Go away iPhone! Go AWAAAAY! It is obviously bound to happen, but I honestly don't see anything good coming out of it since Sprint will then have to follow suit with the whole rip off pricing schemes. I doubt that Apple would have it any other way, since if it was otherwise, tons of people would jump ship from VZN and ATT for unlimited everything plans.

I don't even think that Sprint has the backbone to support such an influx of new users. Hopefully this won't affect me and my current plan. I'd never want to switch from my EVO and my killer plan. Can't speak for my wife however, she might fancy an iPhone at some point. Well, if she wants one, she'll have to pay for the extra $ I guess. In a way I kind of hope she does get one.... her Blackberry is truly embarrassing. What a hunk of crép!

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Go away iPhone! Go AWAAAAY! It is obviously bound to happen, but I honestly don't see anything good coming out of it since Sprint will then have to follow suit with the whole rip off pricing schemes. I doubt that Apple would have it any other way, since if it was otherwise, tons of people would jump ship from VZN and ATT for unlimited everything plans.

Doug

At this point, I don't think Apple care's about who leaves whom for service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
At this point, I don't think Apple care's about who leaves whom for service.

I think they do. Otherwise, they'd not care about losing customers to other platforms. The more saturated the market is with iPhones, the faster iOS can catch up in the numbers game since it is still behind Android. More users = more $. This is business, nothing more. If people jump ship from one ship to another, it stands to reason that it was futile to try and sway people in any direction from the get go. That would defeat the initial purpose of their [Apple's] plans.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think they do. Otherwise, they'd not care about losing customers to other platforms. The more saturated the market is with iPhones, the faster iOS can catch up in the numbers game since it is still behind Android. More users = more $. This is business, nothing more. If people jump ship from one ship to another, it stands to reason that it was futile to try and sway people in any direction from the get go. That would defeat the initial purpose of their [Apple's] plans.

Doug

Doug your forgetting a few things:
  • You're assuming Apple's "plan" is to be #1. Maybe it is, but it also might not be. Apple has been happy for a long time not being #1 but rather building the best products and being super profitable. Not sure that the iPhone changes that overall corporate DNA.
  • Who says people will switch in droves to Sprint? Sprint doesn't necessarily have the best reputation for service, coverage or voice quality. What will happen is that there are people in Sprint contracts or Sprint coverage areas, people who use Sprint for business who I'm sure would love to pick up an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

I don't even think that Sprint has the backbone to support such an influx of new users. Hopefully this won't affect me and my current plan. I'd never want to switch from my EVO and my killer plan. Can't speak for my wife however, she might fancy an iPhone at some point. Well, if she wants one, she'll have to pay for the extra $ I guess. In a way I kind of hope she does get one.... her Blackberry is truly embarrassing. What a hunk of crép!

Doug

ahh, a fellow EVO user..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug your forgetting a few things:
  • You're assuming Apple's "plan" is to be #1. Maybe it is, but it also might not be. Apple has been happy for a long time not being #1 but rather building the best products and being super profitable. Not sure that the iPhone changes that overall corporate DNA.
  • Who says people will switch in droves to Sprint? Sprint doesn't necessarily have the best reputation for service, coverage or voice quality. What will happen is that there are people in Sprint contracts or Sprint coverage areas, people who use Sprint for business who I'm sure would love to pick up an iPhone.

I agree in that their goals are geared towards developing great products, but no one strives to do such things without the thought of being number one in their field! That should really go without saying. And again, this is business... if you don't strive to be the best, you tend to lose sight of certain things, so it's only good business practice to want to be #1

I didn't say people would switch in droves, but Sprints current mantra (getting more for less) would certainly be a big push towards getting a lot of switchers. Sprint has done a lot of work with their trunk lines in the past few years, and things are only getting better. I've traveled a lot, all around the country with my EVO, and have yet to find an area which has been different from where I live.

4G isn't everywhere yet, but 3G has been great everywhere I've been to. Don't forget, if there's no real Sprint tower around, the phone will piggyback on Verizon's towers (not considered roaming) and I've never been able to tell the difference, considering that VZN customers get priority on said towers.

Anyway, none of this really matters. What ever will be, will be. None of the big networks really care about anything but the bottom line. What I CAN say however, is that having been a customer with every other network before, Sprint really has been the best thus far in terms of features and customer service .. seriously!

Voice quality with ATT was a bit better though.. not meaning reception, but more like amplification... somehow voices had more heft on ATT's lines. With VZN, I had dropped call after dropped call and lots of reception/quality issues. Didn't matter which phone it was. One thing with Sprint, which I had never gotten with the other two is full reception in a lot of underground subway stations. Probably just repeaters very close by but still, always nice to be able to have that at 2 am when waiting forever for a train.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Not for long... I saw that you were selling yours. Not happy with it?

Doug

no, love it. but I have an upgrade with my work discount now so if I can sell it for that amount, it pays for the EVO 3D.. i have to be tight all the time now with money after Macey.. ha..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think just generally GSM provides a better sounding voice quality than CDMA networks simply due to the compression and vocoder types.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, love it. but I have an upgrade with my work discount now so if I can sell it for that amount, it pays for the EVO 3D.. i have to be tight all the time now with money after Macey.. ha..

You might want to think that over. I've been reading nothing but not such great things about the 3D in terms of the radio it uses, which is said to be fairly week and is giving people reception and data issues. Every test done thus far puts the EVO ahead of the 3D where signal quality and rate of data transfer is concerned. Battery life is only minimally better, and it is also said that voice quality isn't as good, either.

And the 3D aspect is gimmicky at best, not to mention that people report it makes them dizzy when not viewed in the "sweet spot". The new Sense UI looks ok I guess, but I'd still use Go Launcher I'm sure.

Just don't be hasty is all I'm saying.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think just generally GSM provides a better sounding voice quality than CDMA networks simply due to the compression and vocoder types.

Could very well be. That certainly wouldn't make any difference to me though. I have no complaints about the voice quality with my EVO and no one has ever complained about it to me, either. People never seem to take in to account that the actual phone makes a big difference with voice quality.

Some handsets are shipped with awful radios, (which is why I love having the option to root and change the ROM with a different radio since optimal frequency modulation depends upon geographic location) and some hardware might have fairly poor mic's, too. Also, noise canceling is pretty important when outside. If the noise canceling is too weak then obviously there will be too much cross chatter. Too much, and the person whom is speaking may have their voice cancelled out all together!

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.