Converting from FAT32 to NTFS

Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried this? If so what was the end result? I have my Mac Boot Camp partition in the FAT32 format. Unfortunately I cannot move the partition to a new and larger hard drive without it being in the NTFS format
As WinClone will not recognize FAT32. I fear incompatibility with some apps after the conversion as is common on Windows operating systems. Thanks..

NTFS.com Convert FAT32 to NTFS. Converting. Convertion.

Convert FAT to NTFS

Q: Is it possible to convert a FAT32 Hard Drive to NTFS without losing all data on the drive? I like to change from FAT32 to NTFS, my operating system is Windows XP PRO, how can I do that? Without the lost of my programs?

A: Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? It's been maybe 8-9-10 years since I installed an OS onto a FAT partition. Am thinking I did a conversion from FAT to NTFS on one of my first XP installs without issue.

Don't know why any apps would have compatability issues. Apps should be compatible with XP, and no relation to whether you have XP installed to a FAT or NTFS partition. I have never seen an app specify the format of the drive.

However, if you have data you do not want to lose, then I suggest a backup prior to conversion. Perhaps someone has done this in the last couple of years, but you may get more answers on a Windows forum related to this particular question. (You don't have to tell them it's on a Mac. This should not make any difference.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The conversion is what I recommended to you in your other thread. And as bobtomay suggested, it's always a good idea to backup. However, lets keep this subject confined to one thread rather than scatter it between the two.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.