How to copy Itunes-library to SD-or USB-card for car radio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3,06 Ghz intel dual core
I don't want to connect my ipod to my car radio every time. I would like to copy my itunes on to a SD card. My car radio has a SD-card slot.

When I move the complete 'media' folder from my Imac to the SD-card, all the mp3's are copied but they are separated in more than 1000 album directories.
This is in no way 'browsable' in my car radio.

Is there a better way to copy/export/sync all of my music on to a SD card for external mp3 players???

Thanks
ea177_20100401232234_itunes.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Rather than dragging the folder to the SD card, type mp3 in the search bar while at the top-level folder, and you'll get a list of all your mp3 files. Then drag them from there to the SD card. Or Select All (CMD-A), then Copy/Paste (CMD-C/CMD-V). Repeat if you have m4v or other formats.

Reaction score
Just highlight what you want and drag the files into the window of the SD card. The songs will be copied over. Easy as that.

C

chas_m

Probably not, actually guys. Yes, the copy method you describe will work, but IME a lot of car radios are looking for DOS naming convention files (ie TRACK01.mp3, TRACK02.mp3 etc). No more than eight letters plus MP3 extension, no spaces etc.

If just copying them over doesn't work for the reason I mentioned, a workaround: iTunes will let you burn an MP3 CD (I know, that's not what you want, bear with me here) to fit the capacity of the disc, which allows for many hours worth of music. Select a playlist up to 700MB, burn the MP3 CD onto a blank CD. THEN put the MP3 CD back into the computer, and copy the files **off the CD** onto your thumb drive. They will all have the proper naming and structure the car radio will likely be looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably not, actually guys. Yes, the copy method you describe will work, but IME a lot of car radios are looking for DOS naming convention files (ie TRACK01.mp3, TRACK02.mp3 etc). No more than eight letters plus MP3 extension, no spaces etc.

If just copying them over doesn't work for the reason I mentioned, a workaround: iTunes will let you burn an MP3 CD (I know, that's not what you want, bear with me here) to fit the capacity of the disc, which allows for many hours worth of music. Select a playlist up to 700MB, burn the MP3 CD onto a blank CD. THEN put the MP3 CD back into the computer, and copy the files **off the CD** onto your thumb drive. They will all have the proper naming and structure the car radio will likely be looking for.

Why not just use a batch renaming tool?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just highlight what you want and drag the files into the window of the SD card. The songs will be copied over. Easy as that.

He said he has over a thousand album directories. Would YOU want to do that a thousand+ times?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
He said he has over a thousand album directories. Would YOU want to do that a thousand+ times?
But if a search was done first on the main folder then the files are listed without directories, so you can select all and copy all from the find without opening each directory.

For the OP: Open your media folder then in the search box upper right search for .mp3. Above "Name" where it says "Search:" change the selection from "This Mac" to "media" or whatever your folder is called there and change "Contents" to "File Name". It should now show only mp3s from your media folder. You can now select whatever you want and copy it over. As to proper naming for your car stereo, I don't know, but this is easy way to access files without going into each and every folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if a search was done first on the main folder then the files are listed without directories, so you can select all and copy all from the find without opening each directory.

Yes. And that's exactly what I already had suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Yes. And that's exactly what I already had suggested.
I thought I saw something about searching but then I looked at the post you quoted and it wasn't there so I thought I was mistaken. But nooooo... it was YOU! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.