Transferring to new Mac(s) with Time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
I know it's possible to transfer my entire system and all it's settings over to a new mac via time machine or migration assistant.

But does anyone know if this'll throw up any issues with licenses of things like adobe dreamweaver (which you are allowed to use on multiple machines if you own them) or any other programs that use software keys to validate ownership?

I know it's a real pain on windows machines sometimes, even just transferring something from one machine to another if EULA calls for uninstallation on the first machine.
But as I understand it Macs don't handle things in the same way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I always make a folder with all my Licenses (key) you never know what can happen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't comment about Adobe applications because I have none. However, when I used Time Machine to move everything to a new iMac there were no problems with application licenses or serial numbers. And I have a quite a few apps that I use which have serial numbers.

As long as the application EULA specifies that it can be used on more than one machine or multiple machines that you own, you should have no difficulties. A Mac is no different from a PC, it's the application EULA which directs whether or not the app can be transferred or used on more than one machine.

C

chas_m

Adobe applications tend to want to be reinstalled, even when copied over perfectly from Time Machine. I suspect that they use hardware ID checking as part of their security, however I've found that a reinstall (of the Adobe software) always works so its not generally a big deal.

ISTR that Quark and Microsoft (or, more generally, "pro" apps of that level) tend to have the same issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
Alright, thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I've just installed a larger hard drive on my Mac and was pleasantly surprised to see everything the way it was on my old hard drive set up and working on my new hard drive with the minimum of fuss and effort using Time Machine.

Aperture, Parallels (and Windows 7 and Office Professional installed on Parallels) moved across fine though without a need for reinstallation. However like chas_m points out, Microsoft Office does require a reinstallation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27" iMac i7 2.93 1TB 8GB 2011 15" MBP 2.2 256SSD 8GB iPhone4 32GB iPad 64GB 3G
I had to reload my Adobe Programs and MS Office programs from the Time Machine transfer from my iMac to my MBP. Other than that everything swapped fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Again, I can't speak for Adobe applications because I have none, however, Microsoft Office versions transferred without a problem using Time Machine. No re-installation required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Again, I can't speak for Adobe applications because I have none, however, Microsoft Office versions transferred without a problem using Time Machine. No re-installation required.

I had to reinstall Microsoft Office 2011 Business edition. When I tried to open word it prompted me to enter my key again however it failed to register saying something about the installer and asked me to reinstall which I did and everything now works OK.

The problem may have been that I was using an older version of Snow Leopard (10.6 (installed from disc) rather than 10.6.7) because Aperture 3 kept failing to open and giving out some error message. However when I downloaded the combi update from Apple it opens up fine again.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys; I'll be migrating soon enough and at least I know now to dig out the Office files and get ready to install them back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.