how to un-install an application on a macintosh

Reaction score
Hi,
just switched back from to Mac's from years on a PC...and realized that I don't know how to go about removing an installed program.
On a PC there is always the windows system remover tool to totally remove all contents. Is there a similar application on the mac?
Or do I just usher the files into the rubbish bin?
Thanks,
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
This is one of the greatest things about Mac.... just drag the App to the trash bin... and you're done.

If you feel like being really thorough you can hunt down the pref files in the library... But there really isn't much reason to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
sarahsboy18 said:
...If you feel like being really thorough you can hunt down the pref files in the library... But there really isn't much reason to.

Except for programs like GarageBand which put a lot of stuff in username/Library.

After removing an app, I usually do a cursory run-through of the Library directory, but most of the time I just leave it alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
you need to run through the library, yeah. remove preferences all the .plist files, application support, dump cache and yer done. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.