Help - Moving files from PC to Mac

W

WpgPhotoGuy

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked 10,000 times, but I couldn't find the answer. Here is the situation.

I just recieved a new iBook today. I have tons of photos saved onto my desktop PC. I don't have a DVD burner on my PC, but I do on the iBook, so I would like to get all my pictures to the iBook so I can burn them to DVD for archiving.

So what is the easiest way of doing this? They aren't on a local network, but I've got a router so they are both online at once. Is there any type of a FTP system I can set up to shoot everything over to the Mac easily?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
You can setup the PC to allow you to read from a Certin folder, IE the 'Shard Documents' folder on XP, I do this all the time with my Wife's XP laptop and my Mac.
Your XP computer would have to have Sharing Enabled for this to take place.
You can move all your Photo's to this location 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Shared Pictures'
Then fire up the iBook, click onto your 'Network' icon, and it will automaticly see the domain (IE, MSHOME or WORKGROUP), Click either one and look for your XP computers name and then go to 'Shared Documents'

This will get you to where you want to be.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
JGruber said:
You can setup the PC to allow you to read from a Certin folder, IE the 'Shard Documents' folder on XP, I do this all the time with my Wife's XP laptop and my Mac.
Your XP computer would have to have Sharing Enabled for this to take place.
You can move all your Photo's to this location 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Shared Pictures'
Then fire up the iBook, click onto your 'Network' icon, and it will automaticly see the domain (IE, MSHOME or WORKGROUP), Click either one and look for your XP computers name and then go to 'Shared Documents'

This will get you to where you want to be.
Hope this helps.

ok at the expense of sounding like a complete idiot where is this network icon? i have set up a folder on my winnxp machine to be shared with my ibook which is communicating via a netgear wireless router. whenever i click on the network icon that i find in system preference is a window showing me that my airport status is connected. any pointers?

OP
M

Merlinblack

Another Solution is to turn on Windows Sharing in the system preferences. then from windows go: start>run>\\ipaddressofmac\usernameonmac it should ask you to authenticate.

If you don't want to play with that you should find the network fold in the finder to the left right above the macintosh HD icon.

Reaction score
PC always freezes when hooking up to ethernet

hi,
I've been trying to link up my pc to mac for a while now and everytime I connect my ethernet cable to my pc my pc freezes up totally.
My mac acts as if nothing has happened.
So I really can't even get to the configuring stage.
Any help?
M

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are you using a cross over ethernet cable? If not you will need one to connect both system togther.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.