• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Amazon now 'very engaged' in music talks to catch Apple

Reaction score
Amazon now 'very engaged' in music talks to catch Apple

amazonclouddrive.jpg
A seeming off-hand reference after repeating leaks of Amazon's tablet plans has revealed that Amazon is back into negotiations to improve Cloud Player. The company is "very engaged" with music labels to go beyond the upload-only service it launched with before. Progress and the nature of the services weren't mentioned to AllThingsD's sources for the claim....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Behind the 8ball yet again !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't get why Amazon is so adamant about this industry. Just do what you do, because the only thing you are dominate in is online book sales. Let the people who deal with music take care of real music sales. If you can offer better deals, than do it, otherwise, it is what it is. That's just my opinion. This can go for the new tablet they are going to release.

Reaction score
^ I wonder what Steve Jobs would have said to that statement back in the late 90s, when Apple Computer, Inc. was devising the iPod, and shortly after, the iTunes Music Store.

Musing aside, Amazon's adamant about sales. Period. Their original claim to fame may have been books, but the true "killer app" that Amazon offered to the world was a ground-breaking Internet sales engine. Today, I shop at Amazon for everything, not just books, because they provide the best shopping experience of any site on the web. And anything that promises to keep users like me shopping in the Amazon "mall" is something they're going to be interested in offering. And why not?

Moreover, given Amazon's involvement with eBooks, one has to ask: is an mp3 really so different than a ePub file? Seems to me that, if you're going to offer electronic merchandise, you might as well sell it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't get why Amazon is so adamant about this industry. Just do what you do, because the only thing you are dominate in is online book sales.

This is so untrue. Beyond retail sales, Amazon is also one of, or maybe the largest, supplier of on demand cloud computing options. It's a master at infrastructure and also licenses its store technology. They're probably one of the nets most unsung tech powerhouses.

Let the people who deal with music take care of real music sales. If you can offer better deals, than do it, otherwise, it is what it is.

Actually they already offer better pricing and often way better album prices than iTunes normally.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Amazon is awesome, go right ahead, I say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Apple,amazon, and Volkswagen are my favorite companies. I really like amazon for buying things, apple for their design and ease of use, and Volkswagen because of how simple and fun they are.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
...and Volkswagen because of how simple and fun they are.

OK, not to hijack this thread, but have you looked under the hood of one? "Simple" is not how I'd describe a semi-modern VW.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OK, not to hijack this thread, but have you looked under the hood of one? "Simple" is not how I'd describe a semi-modern VW.

I don't think any automobile is simple. >_<"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't think any automobile is simple. >_<"

Oh, you've never seen just how convoluted a VW engineer can make a car.

Try changing a tail light on one sometime. On an ordinary car, you'd give the bulb receptacle a quarter-turn, release it from the housing and pop the bulb out and pop a new one in. On a VW, the owner's manual tells you to take it to the dealer. If you're brave enough to risk it, the process includes removal of a backplane, retained by 18 tabs. Once you've got that out, try to figure out the sequence of twists, turns and tabs to get the 1 out of 7 bulbs you need to replace (and hope you identified the right one). On a Japanese or American car, it's a 2 minute affair - on a VW, it's a half hour, easy.

I once saw a Passat wherein the VW brainiacs decided that they wanted to install the engine in the standard longitudinal fashion (as opposed to transverse, like nearly every other FWD 4-cylinder car on the planet). In order to accomplish this, they had to have the exhaust manifold right next to the air intake (in other words, the worst possible position to put it in). So, they installed a tremendous heat shield to try to keep the intake air as cool as possible, but in doing so, they couldn't make the air filter housing accessible. So, where changing an air filter in most FWD 4-cylinder cars can be done by a trained chimp, on the Passat, you'd better devote the afternoon to painstakingly disassembling the engine bay.

I always thought I might like to own one someday - a number of them are very attractive, but I was steered away by my more mechanically inclined friends. Now I know why.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Oh, you've never seen just how convoluted a VW engineer can make a car.

Try changing a tail light on one sometime. On an ordinary car, you'd give the bulb receptacle a quarter-turn, release it from the housing and pop the bulb out and pop a new one in. On a VW, the owner's manual tells you to take it to the dealer. If you're brave enough to risk it, the process includes removal of a backplane, retained by 18 tabs. Once you've got that out, try to figure out the sequence of twists, turns and tabs to get the 1 out of 7 bulbs you need to replace (and hope you identified the right one). On a Japanese or American car, it's a 2 minute affair - on a VW, it's a half hour, easy.

I once saw a Passat wherein the VW brainiacs decided that they wanted to install the engine in the standard longitudinal fashion (as opposed to transverse, like nearly every other FWD 4-cylinder car on the planet). In order to accomplish this, they had to have the exhaust manifold right next to the air intake (in other words, the worst possible position to put it in). So, they installed a tremendous heat shield to try to keep the intake air as cool as possible, but in doing so, they couldn't make the air filter housing accessible. So, where changing an air filter in most FWD 4-cylinder cars can be done by a trained chimp, on the Passat, you'd better devote the afternoon to painstakingly disassembling the engine bay.

I always thought I might like to own one someday - a number of them are very attractive, but I was steered away by my more mechanically inclined friends. Now I know why.

Trust me I know what you are talking about. I use to have a VW Jetta. VW likes to make things difficult. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crimson, fwiw, I can't even add my own window washer fluid. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't get why Amazon is so adamant about this industry. Just do what you do, because the only thing you are dominate in is online book sales. Let the people who deal with music take care of real music sales. If you can offer better deals, than do it, otherwise, it is what it is. That's just my opinion. This can go for the new tablet they are going to release.

^ I wonder what Steve Jobs would have said to that statement back in the late 90s, when Apple Computer, Inc. was devising the iPod, and shortly after, the iTunes Music Store.
Quoted for truth. Don't underestimate a company with capital, technology and expertise.

Amazon entered the cloud market and has an estimated 90,000 virtual servers on one coast alone (source). Think back to two months ago when Amazon had the significant outage - that made the tech news for a reason. Even NASA uses it to, "support the Mars rovers, deep space exploration, public outreach, lunar mapping and modeling, air born missions, and a lunar rover project" (source). I think you've established yourself as a tech powerhouse when you've reached the point where NASA depends on you for its Mars exploration program.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Amazon needs to engaged bugs out of their uploading software. I had to delete more than 100 duplicates from my cloud account!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Amazon needs to engaged bugs out of their uploading software. I had to delete more than 100 duplicates from my cloud account!

Exactly! I don't know what to do about that. Some keep duplicating themselves after deleting. Is there way to turn auto-downloads to the account off? I'm kind of tired of getting duplicates sent back after deleting them....arghhhhhh. Though, I only have about 11 that keep on duplicating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

What was really available when iTunes first started? CD's and illegal downloads. No real player in online music. Now Amazon want in big time. The exact same thing could be said about MP3 players. Nothing was as big as the iPod, even though companies did have their own stuff. Your analogy would be good if there was a real large competitor to iTunes at that time as there is to Amazon right now. So, my statement is perfectly valid. Amazon never had the courage(not the real word I wanted to use!) to do something first, it was always after waiting on a trend to arise...that even how their book business started!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. let's tone down the fanboyism a bit here. ;)

Amazon certainly has done a ton of stuff first, the same could be thrown back at Apple. There's a lot they didn't do first also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Crimson, fwiw, I can't even add my own window washer fluid. ;)

Changing the battery in my wife's 2002 New Beetle more or less requires removing the fender. Seriously.

Reaction score
All this talk about VW's has changed my thinking of one...if it's THAT hard to perform maintenance on one (however, I have seen an old Beetle disassembled)...forget it.

I don't use Amazon much...maybe except for software purchases back when I used Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.