Software installation

J

Joolz34

Hi, Ive yet another silly question that Im hoping some of you will be able to help me with.
I know that to install an app on a mac you drag its icon to the applications folder, but I wanted to ask does this automatically create a sub folder for that app and put its files inside or are all the files just stored in the applications folder?

Are you able to create subfolders manually inside the applications folder? e.g. could I create a games folder inside applicarions and drag the games icons into that folder and still have it install?

My mac still hasnt arrived so I havent had chance to try this out myself, apologies for the windows mindset and I appreciate your responses.

Joolz

OP
H

Harryc

The installer program will create whatever subfolders it needs. Yes you can create your own sub-folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If there isn't an installer then drag the application to the application folder (or make a subfolder and drag the app to it). The first time that you execute the app it will build all of the necessary files to run and it will place them in the appropriate folder(s). I've never seen an app put any loose file into it's residing folder (only if installed by an installer).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.