• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

.Mac update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey all you .mac users out there!

Apple has just upgraded the service:
Each member account now has 1GB of space for emails and iDisk storage.
Backup 3 is also now available (10.3.9 required).

Thanks Apple! (About time, but thanks).

Reaction score
Thats cool, one qeustion, How do you get updated to 1 GB. It does not seem to be automatic. I do not see directions on homepage.

Reaction score
Maybe it's not meant for members that joined past a certain time line

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
iNAP said:
Thats cool, one qeustion, How do you get updated to 1 GB. It does not seem to be automatic. I do not see directions on homepage.

Go to mac.com, login, go to Account, then go to storage settings. It doesn't automatically allocate the space to e-mail or iDisk.

Reaction score
did you something to update it? Mine remains the same.

Reaction score
I deleted a few things on my computer that are still on my idisk if I sync them both I will lose some photos on some pages or even some pages, correct?

Reaction score
When I logged in it just said I have 1 GB now available buy my iDisk was set to 125mb and my E-mail was set to 125mb. I just had to go to the settings to tell it where I wanted to use the new space.

S

sursuciofla

Good to see they finally caught up, however I still don't like the 10GB per month data transfer when places like Omnis gives 100GB. Although I do know the other benefits of .Mac but they need to do something about that.

Reaction score
Ok it is up dated now. Phew I thought something was wrong. I think I need another place for my pages anyway, it is not really setup for the things I put on there. Maybe I'll use up all the space for the alloted time and move on to another just before the time is up.....Thanks for the update BTW!~

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for not replying sooner - I'm at work at the moment ;)

Yeah I didn't have the gig when I posted, but the .mac status page still said that services were unavailable so I figured they were still in the process of setting up all members accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm happy with the upgrades. Does anyone know if Backup 3 can clone to a external firewire drive to create a bootable backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Glad to see it finally got updated. .Mac is nice, but for the money, it makes more sense to go with another hosting company. However, I am doing .Mac for a year, since it was discounted with my Powermac. I may or may not renew it when the year is up. I wish they'd update/add more freebees (ex. The GarageBand Jampacks).

Reaction score
Since they have updated, does anybody know if you can use PHP or CGI yet? It was the only thing stopping me from diving into the .mac world.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't think so... only html code allowed as "external page"

M

menace3054

i just signed up for .mac... i cancelled my isp and needed an email addy, everything associated with my name (michael jones) was taken on gmail since its the most common **** name (**** parents), so i switched to .mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Its nice for beginners and casual users but its just not enough for the money for me.

I love www.dreamhost.com

M

menace3054

trpnmonkey41 said:
Its nice for beginners and casual users but its just not enough for the money for me.

I love www.dreamhost.com

i agree..its definately not worth the money but i needed a good email address.. and figured the idisk would be good for backup. i didnt realize it was 512mb for email 512mb for idisk, kinda misleading

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.