New motherboard, gone windows drivers

Reaction score
Hi guys
Sorry I just stumbled upon a difficult situation. My mac motherboard apparently(sorry cortland I still dont trust you) died and I had to go through apple care repair, which ended up replacing my motherboard.

Now I have a question.
My windows XP which i still have installed kept. The problem is whenever I access windows, all my drivers are gone so all I get to is the windows user login, and from there can't do anything because my mouse and keyboard drivers are gone. The question is, is there anyway I can reinstall them without the working mouse and keyboard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you recently replaced the logic board in your Mac, you will have to reinstall Windows XP for best results. A repair install won't work in your case and neither will trying to install the drivers from OS X.

Open the Boot Camp assistant from OS X and select "create partition". Now select "restore". If that works, it will remove the Windows XP partition and restore it to OS X. After which you can use Boot Camp once more to install Windows XP. If that doesn't work, you'll have to use Disk Utility to remove the Windows partition. You'll need to do that by booting from your original Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks, restoring partition did work. BUT now i can't partition the disk in bootcamp as it requires a disk repair, which Disk Utility won;t let me perform :Grimmace:. and I still very need that windows XP

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll need to boot from the OS X disc to perform a drive repair.
A drive repair cannot be done on a partition that you are booted to.

Similar to a chkdsk in windows - only really not sure why OS X does not have the option to perform a drive repair on next boot - it'd be so much simpler.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks bobtomay, the problem is that I don't have the OS X disc anymore (or rather I have no clue where it is), is there any other waY?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Run fsck -fy

1. Shut Down Mac completely, Restart your Mac in single-user mode (after pressing power on button, immediately press and hold down the Command and S keys until white text begins to scroll on black screen. In a few more seconds, the Unix command line prompt ending in :)/ root#).
2. At that prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy (fsck space minus fy).
3. Press Enter or Return key to execute the command.
4. Text will start updating the progress...if there is damage, the final line will say ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****.
5. If you see that message, REPEAT Steps 2 and 3 again until that message no longer appears. Having to run fsck more than once is normal, because the first run's repairs may uncover additional problems.
6. The end should read: "The volume <name of disk> appears to be OK."
7. Then type "exit" or "reboot" then press Return or Enter to boot back off the hard drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks man. That definately helped. However it seems I won't be installing windows afterall. My disc drive is now refusing to take the windows cd, or any other at this point, and from what i read this is a wholly another problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.