mp3/wav to midi converter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
I'm trying to make rintones for my cellphone an I need to convert an MP3,AAC or WAV to a MIDI file. Does anyone know where I can download a decent one for free? I see on versiontracker there are a few applications but I don't know which ones are any good.

M

Morrigan

This conversion is actually impossible.
A WAV, MP3 or AAC file is a digital music file, while a MIDI file is information on pitch and length of notes, which is then played by the MINI instruments on your computer. That's why a MIDI file will sound slightly different on different computers - the MIDI sounds they have installed might be different, or are different, for example, between versions of Windows or the MIDI instrument hard-wired onto the sound card. (MIDI = Musical Instrument Digital Interface), think of those old MIDI keyboards you can connect through the dedicated MIDI interface on older PC's (we have USB now).

There are programs that can 'listen' to MP3's and try and create a MIDI file from it, but in most cases it will sound terrible and nothing like the original, unless the MP3s is very basic. Some classical music actually works really well.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
i actually found a way to do it. I was on a sprint phone user forum and someone on there showed me a way to make it work.

Tunes:
1) "Get Info" on the song of your choice.
2) Click the "Options" tab.
3) Now here's the tedious part since you don't have Quicktime Pro to trim the song. You have to change the "Start Time" and "End Time" to the portion of the song you want. A typical refrain of a song should be 30 seconds or less. You want a clip no more than that because of space and it'll go to voicemail anyway. When you're done make sure you hit "Okay."
4) Now "Control-click" or "Right-click" the song and select "Convert Selection to..." It can be whatever format. It' doesn't matter.
5) Now you'll have the trimmed song in iTunes. Drag and drop it on to your desktop to make a copy.
6) Don't forget to return the original song to it's normal playback. Just put zeros in the start and end times. Also delete that trimmed copy in iTunes.

mAC3dec:
Download this application here.
1) Open the application
2) Select "MP3" for the format.
3) In "MP3 Options" select Mono, High, 44.100 kHz, CBR, and bitrate 32.
4) Just add the trimmed song from your desktop to the app and select convert.
5) Rename the new converted file from ".mp3" to ".mid"

Now all you have to do is use an uploader to send the .mid to your phone.
Focus is what SprintUsers has but I haven't tried it in a while because the 325 has been having problems with it.
I use this site instead. Plus you can rename your file to whatever you want shown on your phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.