• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Our little 8 week old Aussie has Parvo :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Well, I have some very sad news

We just got back from the ER, she has a STRONG case of parvo

The chances of her contracting it from being with us is very nil.. since she started showing signs on Friday and we picked her up on Wednesday. There's a chance she could have gotten it from her vaccination (she had her 4 week and 8 week)..

We submitted her and she's on fluids/drip and under 24 hour watch at $1,000.00 a day. at 3-5 days.. one expensive pup but a life is a life.. and even though we've only had her for 4 days she is our baby, and we're going to do everything we can to have her pull through. She has an 80% chance of pulling through.

Please keep little Macey in your prayers tonight.. it's been a very said evening, but we're pulling for the best!

IMG_4127.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
oh my, will pray for sure. Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You and Macey are in my thoughts, and the highest of respect for you for treating Macey like family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Parvo is vicious Thoughts are with you all . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You've got our thoughts with you as well. Man, you should think about starting a donation fund to help with those payments. It's so crazy what we pay to keep our furry loved ones in good health! When we had to put my psychotic (but beloved) kitty down 2 years ago, it cost us more to find out she was going through renal failure and then to finally put her down and cremate her (yep, I've got her in a nice box) than it probably cost to feed and maintain her for all the years she was alive! It's quite the racket/business.

Not meaning to hijack... this is Mitzy:

Mitzy-in-a-box-S.jpg

I hope things work out for you guys. That beautiful pup has great owners.

Doug

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all the kind words you guys!

It is a terrible thing to loose a love one so we want to give her a fighting chance.. it's not her fault it just happens.. she's part of the family.

I just got off the phone with the doctor and little Macey had a good night, no vomiting or diarrhea which is a great sign. Her protein levels were a little low due to not being able to eat but her white blood cell count was still normal and she wasn't dehydrated..

The vet also said there's a lot of Parvo going around and that every case she's seen recently they've been able to beat.

We hope she pulls through!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My prayers go out to your dog, which is the cutest dog I've seen in a very long while.
By the way, is it weird that I've never heard of Parvo? What exactly is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Aw good luck to her and your family, beautiful dog

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My prayers go out to your dog, which is the cutest dog I've seen in a very long while.
By the way, is it weird that I've never heard of Parvo? What exactly is it?

Not weird.

Unfortunately Parvo is common in puppies (more than I thought)...

it's a virus that get's into the puppies stomach causing it not to be able to absorb nutrients/hydration.. which then leads to the puppy dying from dehydration/hunger/shock within 7-14 days.. usually sooner.

According to the vet they've had A LOT of cases but all have pulled through..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
that's so sad! :(

i know what it's like to lose a family pet.. my hopes and prayers are with you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Poor baby. I hope she pulls through this. I'm glad she has you for parents and you didn't give up on her. Please keep us informed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Get well soon!
20110620-bp8gg31hxhdtx81tjb3fht6j22.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Know how you feel. Our two little dogs are family. Hope she gets well quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Terrible news. Parvo Virus is pretty rampant Down Under and first shots at 4 weeks of age arranged by breeder usually include Parvo Virus, as well as Distemper and Kennell Cough. Hopefully thst first vaccination may see her through.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That is absolutely the cutest dog. I definitely know this is no fun but hopefully she gets through this and it'll be but a distant memory soon.

That beautiful pup has great owners.

Doug

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Geez how sad, hope she gets well soon :)

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update,

Just talked to the doctor. From the plasma drip her protein levels went up from a 1.0 to a 1.5 (normal is 2.5, above 2.0 is good)... a little vomit but not much, and her white blood cell count is still normal as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That is great news. Sounds like she is off on the right start because of her family. Well done and Kudos too you for caring so much. :)

Still not out of hot water so thoughts are still with you

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fingers crossed my boy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.