Newbie here hello everyone!

Reaction score
Quick question I bought a new iPad 1 64gb wifi a two days ago and had a friend jailbreak it for me yesterday. He insisted. Is this a dumb thing too do?Never owned an Apple product before but I'm on my way to a full lineup soon. Just bought a new iPod touch gen4 today( also jail broke it), but basically I'm iOS illiterate! I just don't want to mess anything up/screw myself by listening too a friend who is more of a hacker type compared too a more casual user like myself. Please help!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If you don't know what it is I would suggest not doing it. You can reverse it. if you trust your friend, get him to reverse it for you.

C

chas_m

This is a case of your hacker friend assuming that because he would be interested in doing something, so would anybody. Real world don't work like dat.

Someday down the road you might feel that you would like to jailbreak the device, but from YOUR perspective what your friend has done is a big PITA because now this procedure will have to be done EVERY TIME Apple updates the operating system -- and there's a big major (free) update coming this fall.

I would tell him as diplomatically as possible that you'd like to have him reset it back to factory spec for now, with the option of jailbreaking later if that's what YOU decide YOU want.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice. I will get it reset today. I don't like the idea of doing this over and over. Plus I wanna learn how to use my products before I get outta control with them. Thanks and you will probably hear hundreds more questions like these coming from me. Especially when it's time to decide on getting the all in one Mac! Thanks again!

Reaction score
If you don't already have a reason for doing it, it's best not to do it. It doesn't really "break" anything but if you mess around in the wrong sections you could end up doing something you didn't want to do.

You don't need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.