• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Where did my files go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
I decided to make a second backup of files I took back in January on my first SD card which is also the largest (32GB), however the card didn't show up when inserted into my MacBook Pro's card slot.

Even more worrying is that when inserted back into the camera (Panasonic AVHMC 152) apart from one file they all show up as clear empty thumbnail frames with a little red exclamation mark inside.

When the camera is connected to the laptop I can see in the STREAM folder that I have files 00567.MTS to 00664.MTS and there should be a huge bunch more between that. Where are shots 00001 to 00566???

I know I have not deleted anything and I haven't reformatted it.

Also, I am using the Wondershare Video Converter to randomly pick a clip and see what it is by dragging it into the conversion window but is there a better way of viewing clips individually before using them?

I want to make a showreel next month without having to log and transfer entire folders for the sake of one or two special clips.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
I've just copied the contents onto my external terrabyte and to my relief it was copying 15.52GB of data which is the mass I would have expected. The copy took about twenty minutes, however when done - there was nothing at all in the new folder I had assigned on my hard drive. :(

C

chas_m

Lock the card so it can't be written to, and use some card recovery software. The data seems to still be there, but the directory may be corrupt.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
It's definitely the card, I've re-installed FCP and the Apple store say there's no issue with the software. Perhaps it's because I changed the name of the SD card file from 'PRIVATE' to 'PRIVATE SD#2' - but I had to, because otherwise it would have asked me if I wanted to replace the existing 'PRIVATE' folder.

I have not solved this issue but to continue this edit I will have to convert the raw files in Wondershare video converter and use Quicktime versions. It's for a website video so the difference should be un-noticable to the client.

I have no idea what setting to convert in so I just went for the the highest which was 1280 x 720 and slide up to max quality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.