Bootcamp Error: Requires Windows 7

Reaction score
So after a few failed attempts at bootcamping windows xp I finally got it to work. Installation went smooth and then it just came to installing the drivers. I put the osx disc in to install the drivers and it tells me bootcamp needs windows 7 to put the drivers on. Obviously I don't have Windows 7, I have xp, and I was wondering if I did something wrong? Is there another way to put these drivers on? Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which model of Mac do you have?

Reaction score
Let us know what specific drivers it is asking for. Also, what happened during your failed attempts at bootcamping windows xp? And what did you do to finally get progress in installing xp? Its possible some choice you made might during that trial and error may be the reason why this is happening.

OP
D
Reaction score
i've got a new 15" macbook pro 2.0 ghz. And it's not letting me install any drivers, I put in the cd and it says Error: Bootcamp Requires Windows 7. And in my failed attempts I didn't have an activation code and got halted there, I deleted the partition afterwards and a week later tried again with a different Windows xp and had success.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 2011 MacBook Pro and iMac will not run XP because there are no drivers available from Apple for the proprietary hardware that's used in those machines. If you must run XP and do not want to purchase Windows 7, I suggest using Virtual Machine software instead. You can either purchase Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or download a copy of the free VirtualBox. If you say you got it to work, be sure to check that all your hardware is working. Open the hardware tree from Control Panel, System, and look for exclamation marks over the top of a device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacPro 2.2GHz Xeon, 6GB RAM, 3TB HD, ATI 5770; 2011 15" MacBook Pro i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB/7200 HD
And what if you HAVE Windows 7…?

Funny, I just cloned Windows 7 Ultimate from my Mac Pro onto my new MacBook Pro, and while it boots up into Windows, I couldn't install newer drivers either. The Mac seems to think it's Vista. Used WinClone 2.2 with SN 10.6.8. 220GB partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do realize that you can not "clone" or copy Windows from one machine to another due to the restrictions of the EULA and activation?

Note that we do not allow discussion of any illegal activity in these forums if that was your intention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacPro 2.2GHz Xeon, 6GB RAM, 3TB HD, ATI 5770; 2011 15" MacBook Pro i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB/7200 HD
You do realize that you can not "clone" or copy Windows from one machine to another due to the restrictions of the EULA and activation?

Note that we do not allow discussion of any illegal activity in these forums if that was your intention.

As I "own" the license and intend to retire the old drive, I don't think that'll be relevant. People migrate licenses and data to new computers all the time. So, can ya help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I "own" the license and intend to retire the old drive, I don't think that'll be relevant. People migrate licenses and data to new computers all the time. So, can ya help?

It's relevant if you're going to use it on both computers, however, removing it from one and installing on another is legal with the EULA provided you have a genuine MS boxed copy not an OEM version.

RE your problem: It's strange that your new MBP thinks the cloned image is Vista. I personally do not trust WinClone as it has been known to cause errors and problems copying images. One reason why it's no longer being developed.

I don't know if WinClone is at fault but it's suspicious. You should have your original DVD of Windows 7, right? Use that instead to install not a cloned image. The enumeration of hardware is probably messed up anyway.

You're can run Win 7 without activating it for 30 days. That gives you time to do as you stated above and remove it from the Mac Pro and then activate it on the MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.