Switching to Mac... Why?

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a macbook pro. I currently have a "normal" laptop, an iPad and iPhone.

I am really looking for excuses to buy one! This is probably a stupid thread but why do you prefer a Mac to a "normal" laptop? Why should I switch to a Mac?

C

chas_m

Welcome!

I think you meant to say "Windows" there where you said "normal." A lot of us find the term offensive, as it implies we are abnormal. It's a lot like referring to white people as "normal" and other races by their usual names.

While Macs don't dominate the computer marketplace the way Windows does, Apple is still the fourth-largest computer maker in the world, has one of the highest single-brand marketshares, and because of its high dominance in the areas of smartphones, tablets and music players, is the second-largest company by revenue in the US. It's market cap is higher than most of the rest of the big players -- including Microsoft, which is seen as being in decline -- combined.

As for why you should switch, there are MANY MANY threads on this topic here. Read most of the other threads in this sub-forum (switcher's hangout) and watch how fast you come across one of the (literally) thousands of "why didn't I do this years ago?!" and "I'll never go back" type posts you'll find here.

The main reason most of us switched is because the Mac OS is superior to Windows in many ways. It is more advanced, more stable, more secure, and gets out of your way (once you have gotten comfortable with it) and lets you do your work better. Apple as a company seems to be genuinely interested in creating delight in their customers, creating opportunities for more and better quality work, and focuses on pleasing aesthetic values that provide many less-tangible benefits. Some types of people really value that. Some do not.

To put this another way: if you can look at a Frank Lloyd Wright house or a Van Gogh painting, and your thoughts are "just another house" or "just another painting," then a Mac is probably not for you.

I'd really encourage you to visit your local Apple Store or independent Mac dealer and explore for yourself. A text message on a forum trying to convince you to switch is like someone telling an alcoholic to "just stop drinking." Maybe that will help, but the true motivation to change has to come from within.

Reaction score

LOL - you beat me to it!

The main reason I purchased a Mac was because around 2 years ago I could see that Apple's market share was increasing at a rate never seen before and as there is a 'recession; on at the moment I thought learning some Mac skills would look good on my CV.

I learnt how to fix Windows PC's by having one myself and learning how to fix it when it went wrong - so I thought I'd do the same with buying a Mac.

Unfortunately my MacBook has yet to go wrong :( and :) !!!

I would definitely recommend you get a Mac as right out of the box you'll be able to store, sort and edit your photos, edit videos and even create a DVD using the iLife suite of applications!

On top of that, they boot up and shutdown so much quicker than a Windows PC. They're not as noisey as Windows PCs (no click, click, click of the Hard Disk even when you're doing nothing)!

They actually bring back the fun in to using a computer!

:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am looking into buying a macbook pro. I currently have a "normal" laptop, an iPad and iPhone.

I am really looking for excuses to buy one! This is probably a stupid thread but why do you prefer a Mac to a "normal" laptop? Why should I switch to a Mac?

I think the answer to that question is a very simple one. If you're content with Windows, comfortable with the way it functions and it suits your needs, then there is little reason to look elsewhere.

If, however, you are ready to try something new and different, then the Mac can be very rewarding. But don't be surprised when you find that it is indeed different and that you'll need to change your habits accordingly. Just because it's different, doesn't make it wrong.

But if you find yourself set in your ways and not willing to embrace change, then you might find yourself frustrated. I do think you'll find that amongst those of us who have made the switch, the vast majority are glad that we did.

Reaction score
I you can, drive to an Apple store and play around with the machine to see how they work. Do me, I consider myself a power user as I use keyboard commands like my life nd on it along wit numerous smaller applications.

The os is also tailored to the hardware. You get a streamline experience across the board.

Reaction score
With an ipad and iphone already, it looks like you're already off to a great start in getting used to the osx on a MBP. In fact, the upcoming release next month, Lion, is going to add even more iOS features onto macs.

There are plenty of reasons to try a mac laptop, but I would say that in your case specifically, the best reason is going to be better syncing and productivity in your devices, because they will all be so compatible with each other. :)

One thing though... it's good to go into the purchase with reasonable expectations with what you want from a mac and laptop in general. If you, say, crave the kind of gaming experience that an Alienware M17X delivers, then it is not for you! Everything else is amazing though.

Reaction score
Welcome!

I think you meant to say "Windows" there where you said "normal." A lot of us find the term offensive, as it implies we are abnormal. It's a lot like referring to white people as "normal" and other races by their usual names.

Perhaps he was implying that we were superhuman, not just abnormal? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
I 2nd the thoughts of young spade above in that you should visit and Apple Store and make friends with someone there. They will amaze you with how they are really interested in how you will use your Mac, and they are there to answer all your questions.
I also highly recommend the 1 on 1 classes as they have been a big help to this newbie, as has this forum. Even though I can honestly say "Everything I do on a computer, I can do on a cheap pc." However I have come to love my new Mac in the short time I've had it and I trying to be patient and not get frustrated, and just take my questions with me when I visit an Apple Store every week for my classes. Every time I go there I learn something. Good luck!!
Russ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.