• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for a low-budget stereo system for my room

Reaction score
15 years old with no income looking for an audio setup for my bedroom.
I really have no idea what anything is called, but this is what I want to be able to do:

-Play CD's
-Play MP3's on USB stick
-Use my 6th gen iPod nano (touchscreen) to play playlists
-Use any/all of the above as an alarm clock

This will be going on my desk or dresser, so it needs to be small, if possible. I have two Sony DSW speakers from an old Sony LBT-W300 Hi-Fi system my parents bought and use smaller speakers for now, so it would be great if this player thing could use those.

I don't know what I need, so any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to keep it under $60, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Frankly your best bet is to look at your local Craigslist listings and see if anyone is looking to get rid of some decent used equipment cheap. You're not going to find anything new for $60 or less.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm looking for; what would something that would do all that be called?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You could get a set of Sennhiser headphones such as PX100 for that amount that will probably rival any speakers bought at that amount.

OP
Z
Reaction score
ahh, but I want to use this as an alarm; headphones don't work so well for that :p . I also want to be able to have music playing while not really paying attention to it, and headphones don't work so well for that either.

Im realizing $60 is pretty unrealistic, soo
bit more than i want to pay, but it seems alright

Sony CMTFX300I Hi-Fi Micro Stereo with iPod Dock | Shelf stereo systems - compact | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

this one has no cd player, but has an alarm clock

Centrios Times Square iPod Microsystem | Shelf stereo systems - compact | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

are either of those any good?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
15 years old with no income looking for an audio setup for my bedroom.

I don't know what I need, so any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to keep it under $60, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Would this work?...should be under $60 bucks:;)

portable-wildcat-gray.jpg

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
that last one is kind of missing the cd player... and ipod plug, and alarm ;P

Ill definately check out the other one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Would this work?...should be under $60 bucks:;)

portable-wildcat-gray.jpg

- Nick
Hehe ...used to have one of those as a kid in my family home :D

C

chas_m

Confused ... wouldn't your computer do all this? If it's not already in your room, could you put it there?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, if we're going back that old, how about one of these?

20110618-nxq19iyaghfkkyn8hnnhb25mrf.jpg

For those that don't know what this is, it's a wire recorder and plays 78s.
I still have one, 'ceptin it needs to be restored and just haven't found the time.
Oops, showing my age now huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Wow, you are old! lol :p

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And mine has a wood cabinet and AM radio in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.