• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP to iDVD chapter problem

Reaction score
Hello people.

I've placed chapter markers in the relevant place on the timeline of my video in FCP. I've then exported as a Quick Time movie to include the markers. But when I place the .mov file into iDVD it just shows as one video clip.

I was under the understanding that if you placed chapter markers in FC and then exported, iDVD would recognise the markers and create the relevant chapters under a 'Scene Selection' sub menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Play the movie in QuickTime Player 7. If you see a pop-up option for chapters, then they were exported to the QT movie. If not, you need to find an appropriate container that does handle chapter markers.

I wonder if the the video must be a self contained file too.

It's been a long while since I've played with chapter marks so that is from memory.

OP
X
Reaction score
Probably being stupid, but what do you mean when you say "find an appropriate container"?

As far as I know, the movie being self contained isn't really an issue. But I do export as a self contained movie anyway.

I've played the exported movie in quick time (and I made sure to include chapter markers in the export) but no, there is no pop up option for the chapters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
When you added markers in FCP, were you sure to modify them to be DVD chapter markers?

OP
X
Reaction score
I went to the point in the timeline where I wanted the chapter to be, pressed M twice. When the pop up box appeared I gave the chapter a name and clicked 'Add Chapter Marker'. After doing this the green triangle appears above where you were in the timeline. I'm right so far, right? Or is there something else you have to do after?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should be all that's needed (some people don't go that far and just add markers thinking they are chapter markers). It does look like other people have trouble with it too (I use DVD Studio Pro instead of iDVD so I never really had the chapter problem) - I came across this:

Transfer Final Cut markers to iDVD chapter markers - Mac OS X Hints

and in reading that, the only thing I can imagine (assuming you were sure include chapter markers was checked on the export from FCP) is that you don't have Create Chapter Menus turned on in iDVD...

OP
X
Reaction score
I do though =/

I really have no idea what I am doing wrong then. Say you drag and drop said .mov into iDVD, what is it supposed to do? Does it just automatically create a scene selection sub menu for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a better question for XStep - my thought was a problem in the export or possibly in the preferences of iDVD. Personally, I almost never use it so I can't really answer detailed questions on operation (I prefer to use DVD Studio Pro, which although more complicated is a lot more powerful)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.