• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

2011 iMac for video editing

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to mac and I'm recently using a PC running a 64-bit windows 7.
I own a sony avchd camcorder (VG10) and because of the unsupported video format on mac I chose PC.
But the new final cut pro X is now supporting AVCHD files and I want to buy a new device.
I'm think of purchasing a 27-inch imac with 16Gb ram, i7 and 2Gb graphics card.
Is this device enough for fast video editing? Is there going to be a mac pro upgrade?
I'm struggling on weather I should buy a PC of same specs with way low price than iMac or joining the Mac OS family.
Any suggestions? Thanks~:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13MBP 2.4GHz Duo, 4 GB DDR3, Geforce 320M, 250GB HD
It's up to you, what ever your more comfortable with I'd say go for it. You could buy or build a pc for less then a Mac.

Your obviously going to get a biased answer hear. If you do get the 27-iMac, you won't be disappointed. The new Macbook Pro's just received a upgrade with the i5 and i7 chipsets, along with new graphics card and the thunderbolt port. But like I said it's up to you.

Either way, you will be happy with a Mac, and this is coming from a die-hard pc user.

Reaction score
AVCHD editing

Hi everyone. I'm new to mac and I'm recently using a PC running a 64-bit windows 7.
I own a sony avchd camcorder (VG10) and because of the unsupported video format on mac I chose PC.
But the new final cut pro X is now supporting AVCHD files and I want to buy a new device.
I'm think of purchasing a 27-inch imac with 16Gb ram, i7 and 2Gb graphics card.
Is this device enough for fast video editing? Is there going to be a mac pro upgrade?
I'm struggling on weather I should buy a PC of same specs with way low price than iMac or joining the Mac OS family.
Any suggestions? Thanks~:)

Hi Justin, I am in a similar situation to you... I have a Panasonic HD camcorder and loads of AVCHD footage to edit but my 3+ year old 24" iMac doesn't have the power to deal with AVCHD editing. One thing I have learned after using the iMac for the past 3 years, is that VMWare Fusion enables Windows to run as a Mac application, i.e. as a virtual PC and I would not want to lose the option to change from OSX to Windows with a couple of mouse clicks.

After much research on the web, my current thoughts are as follows:

Upgrade to a 27" iMac with Core i7 CPU, Lion OSX and 8GB of RAM
Invest in Final Cut Express or Pro but it must be a 64 bit version
Upgrade to the latest version of VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 Home Premium

The main uncertainty at present is about Final Cut XXX. Some people seem to think that FCX is not going to be upgraded to 64 bit and that only FCP will be available in future, albeit at a somewhat reduced price.

Watch this space!

C

chas_m

Hi Justin, I am in a similar situation to you... I have a Panasonic HD camcorder and loads of AVCHD footage to edit but my 3+ year old 24" iMac doesn't have the power to deal with AVCHD editing.

Uh, no.

AVCHD is not an editing format, which is probably why your Mac "can't handle it" (in fact, it can).

You must convert AVCHD into an editing format, such as ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec or even MP4 depending on what you want to do, and edit from there. And your three year old iMac can handle that just fine.

I've edited footage shot in AVCHD (720p) several times on my OLDER 2007 Blackbook without issues, and your machine is significantly better.

Reaction score
Uh, no.

AVCHD is not an editing format, which is probably why your Mac "can't handle it" (in fact, it can).

You must convert AVCHD into an editing format, such as ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec or even MP4 depending on what you want to do, and edit from there. And your three year old iMac can handle that just fine.

I've edited footage shot in AVCHD (720p) several times on my OLDER 2007 Blackbook without issues, and your machine is significantly better.

Interesting; thanks for your input.

Two points I would like to make:

1. The basic editing program called Panasonic HD Writer (Windows only) which came on a CD supplied with the camcorder, allows editing of AVCHD files, both 1080i and 1080p. I have used it several times on my wife's Sony Vaio laptop to produce some simple movies but it does have a number of limitations, e.g. no stills can be included, no additional audio can be added and text such as titles can only be added to the first clip.

2. I was aware of the file conversion option for editing but read on one or two forums that the disadvantage of doing this is that there is a just-noticeable quality degradation of 1080i and 1080p footage which I would prefer to avoid.

C

chas_m

There should be no degradation of any kind if you convert the footage to another not-further-compressed format. That's kind of the whole point of it being digital.

Converting AVCHD to MP4 would produce (very minor) degradation, but converting to ProRes or AIC should not produce any degradation whatsoever.

Referring to your first point, I didn't say it was impossible to edit AVCHD files directly. I said AVCHD is not an editing format. Neither is MPEG-2, for example, but that doesn't stop certain (stupid) camcorder manufacturers from recording footage in that format. As you point out, trying to edit AVCHD directly prevents certain types of basic editing operations from happening. Converting the footage to a edit-friendly format should make the whole process easier and more enjoyable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Hmmm...been editing avchd files for two years on a 2009 base model iMac...simply plug the camera ( Panasonic ZS3 ) into computer...open iMovie...import files....or remove SD card...put into card reader....open iMovie....import files...no sweat...ever. Edits the HD footage like a champ. I don't convert squat...( I know the software converts to AIC in iMovie...but it happens automatically....it's idiot proof....thank goodness for me...)

Reaction score
I have only just made a move to iMac since 25 years of PC user and still at work. I went for the i5 3.1ghz 12Gb I find this plenty quick for my editing purposes. Plays games just as well as my pc at a higher res too and it is whipser quiet (big bug bear I had with PC)

The cost was also an issue for me but just remember you are effectively buying laptop hardware so the price shouldn't supprise you. And it's fantastic for running Windows 7!

Oh and the 1 power cord!

Only negatives is the USB ports are on the back of the screen which means you'll need a hub or the corded keyboard if you use USB a lot as you'll have to keep turning the screen, the same goes for the headphone jack. The magic mouse is ok I found it a little sluggish so kept my Logitech laser mouse but had to buy software to get it to work properly.

Hope this helps.

Danny

C

chas_m

Hmmm...been editing avchd files for two years on a 2009 base model iMac...

Again ... never said AVCHD couldn't be edited. Not sure why people are having trouble with this.

AVCHD is not a unified format, it's a container. Within it can be several different types of video and audio codecs (in fact, it's often MP4 in there). This is why some AVCHD footage is recognized and converted automatically by iMovie and some isn't. As you note yourself, the footage inside the recognized AVCHD file has to be converted to something else to make the editing easier and more enjoyable ...

... which is exactly what I said in my last post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas...wasn't responding to your post specifically...rather the over all sentiment that AVCHD files cannot be edited...I understand the fact it's a container...( most of the time...the fact it is AVCHD is condemed immediately ) but truth be told I don't have the articulation other more knowledgeable members have to explain in greater detail. I should probably pipe down without that explanation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I know the software converts to AIC in iMovie
Exactly, so you are not editing AVCHD video, but you are editing the converted video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Semantics...since the software says: Edits AVCHD...just like FCP X says it edits AVCHD...It's Apples' language not mine...they use AVCHD broadly without delving into the specific nature of actual file types.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.