iMac for display ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Newbie here, but loving the mac :eek:)

I have a quick question, unable to find meaningless answers anywhere.

I have a 27" imac purchased recently, i love it, it's amazing, however......

I regularly work from home using an IBM Lenovo windows laptop, can anyone tell me if it's possibly to connect the laptop to my iMac to use the display for viewing my laptop screen ?

I'm a bit of a technical idiot so don't really understand a lot of what I have read elsewhere.

Thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Yes you can, so long as you have DVI/displayport out

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks

Do you have any idea of the cabling / converters that would be required. The iMac has a mini display port (I believe).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you have the new iMac with a Thunderbolt connector, then no, you can't just yet. You can only do that with another Thunderbolt-equipped computer, and only the new iMacs and MacBooks have it. Adapters are coming, but I don't know of any that have been released yet.

If you have an older iMac without Thunderbolt, then yes, as MrPlow said. What cable you need depends on what port(s) you have available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Instead of connecting via wire, use Remote Desktop to connect to the Windows PC from the iMac. If you cant get RDP working between the two due to either settings or IT policies on the laptop, I have found http://www.logmein.com invaluable when it comes to getting connected to machines of all kinds. It is how I have been supporting my parent's computers for the last few years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.