Quitting programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" imac 3.06GHz Intel Core i3. 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
Hi there, I am a very happy switcher :)
I've been using an imac for about three months now and really really love it!

I hope I can describe this so it makes sense... I have noticed that when I shut down some programs using the X the program doesn't shut down fully and I have to follow it with cmdQ. The dock shows a little dot beside open programs and this doesn't go away until I press cmdQ. Is there any way to shut them down fully when I hit the X?

I hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The x is to close the Window, not to quit the application.
To quit applications:
Command X
Right click dock icon and select quit
Select application in menu bar, and select quit in the scroll down menu

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hi there, I am a very happy switcher :)
I've been using an imac for about three months now and really really love it!

I hope I can describe this so it makes sense... I have noticed that when I shut down some programs using the X the program doesn't shut down fully and I have to follow it with cmdQ. The dock shows a little dot beside open programs and this doesn't go away until I press cmdQ. Is there any way to shut them down fully when I hit the X?

I hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.

I think once you get to know cmd-Q -- you'll find that the quickest way to full quit a program. Doesn't get much quicker than that - easier and quicker than navigating the mouse to that little x. :) If you just want to shut a particular window - cmd-w is your friend (analogous to clicking the x)

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" imac 3.06GHz Intel Core i3. 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
Thank you both for your very quick replies
It all makes sense when you see it in black and white :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
You know, I wonder if quitting an application won't be a necessary step in Lion. Consider this:

1. The system can auto save documents.
  2. The system can resume an app from exactly where you left off.
  3. The little blue light under the app icons in the dock is turned off by default.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to make OS X more like iOS in that manually quitting apps won't be necessary anymore. Instead, if the system needs more resources to run an app you just opened, it will automatically quit another app you haven't used in a while. And since you can pick up right where you left off and you don't have to worry about saving anymore, it's not going to be a problem for most users.

C

chas_m

J.Fo, yes you're probably right -- though I worry about how well the memory will be managed. Myself, I've been using computers so long that I can't leave a bunch of apps open (other than for work) and must compulsively quit apps when I'm done with them, a habit I learned in the old days when 64KB was a lot of RAM.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Same here Chas. When I was in high school; we had a couple of Apple IIs around the place. One had 16k and the others had 64k. We thought we were really doing something with those machines.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
lol. I learned just enough Applesoft Basic on those machines to convince myself I did not want to make a living hard coding programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I am the same way unused apps must be turn off :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thread derailed or what? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.