computer wont save sharpness on viewnx/iphoto

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently ran into a problem while using both Viewnx and iphoto. It first started with iphoto. when I edit any photo, be it in raw or jpeg format, the exported saved edit wont save the sharpness. Only when you look at the processed photo in iphoto do see the sharpness added to the pic. because of this problem, I started using the editing software that came with my Nikon D5000 which is Viewnx. This program was working fine untill today when I was looking at my pics before uploading them to flickr, I noticed that the sharpness adjustment wasn't showing up in the final convertion. When I click on any one of my edited photos, I see the sharpness for a split second, then it disappears!!! is this an epidemic?!? I've tried re-installing the viewnx software but still no change!! I'm running a mac mini with os-x 10.4.11. Any help would be much appreciated!! thanks.

-shaun

C

chas_m

Sounds like you've moved the originals, which means the changes can't be applied and the image reverts to thumbnail. Been moving files around lately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
Hello all,

I've recently ran into a problem while using both Viewnx and iphoto. It first started with iphoto. when I edit any photo, be it in raw or jpeg format, the exported saved edit wont save the sharpness. Only when you look at the processed photo in iphoto do see the sharpness added to the pic. because of this problem, I started using the editing software that came with my Nikon D5000 which is Viewnx. This program was working fine untill today when I was looking at my pics before uploading them to flickr, I noticed that the sharpness adjustment wasn't showing up in the final convertion. When I click on any one of my edited photos, I see the sharpness for a split second, then it disappears!!! is this an epidemic?!? I've tried re-installing the viewnx software but still no change!! I'm running a mac mini with os-x 10.4.11. Any help would be much appreciated!! thanks.

-shaun

Can't help with the iPhoto part, don't use. You don't say what version of ViewNX you have on your rig. ViewNX has now gone to ViewNX2, you might need to remove ViewNX and install ViewNX2 for this behaviour to stop.
Can't see your location so won't provide a link. You need to got to Nikon support site for your location and download from there. They provide full instructs on how to accomplish this.

There is also a dedicated ViewNX/2 forum located at Nikonians org where you will find others who experienced similar issues as yourself.

Hope this is of use.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sounds like you've moved the originals, which means the changes can't be applied and the image reverts to thumbnail. Been moving files around lately?
I actually did move some files around. The original files were on my external hard drive, but after a file got deleted off the hard drive, my mac would no longer read it. So I had to transfer my photo files onto my netbook and reformat the hard drive to be able to work on both my mac and pc. After re-loading the files onto my external hard drive, the Viewnx program shows the pics with a little Key beneath it as if its locked. Is there anyway I could unlock these files? viewnx won't let me do it from within the program. One other thing to add. I also can't delete any folders or files from the external hard drive from the mac. I could only do it from the pc.

C

chas_m

Okay, yeah, we found the problem. The problem is you formatted the external disc as NTFS instead of FAT32.

Macs can read FROM, but cannot write TO, NTFS format without third party help. So all your files on this drive are now "read only."

Rather than do the whole process over again only reformatting the drive to FAT32, you can download a tool such as PARAGON Software Group - NTFS for Mac, communication channel between Mac OS X and Windows to enable the unsupported write ability in OS X. That should get everything working again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.