• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD burnded from Mac, no sound

Reaction score
I burned a DVD on the Mac from a source file called MPEG-2 Video (492 MB). When I play the DVD on the PC or in a DVD player the video is there, but there is no sound. Does anyone know why this is? And how can I burn a DVD so that I can get sound? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You say you burned a DVD on the Mac. How did you burn this DVD? did you use iDVD? Did you use DVD Studio Pro? Did you use Burn? What process did you use to create the DVD?

OP
R
Reaction score
You say you burned a DVD on the Mac. How did you burn this DVD? did you use iDVD? Did you use DVD Studio Pro? Did you use Burn? What process did you use to create the DVD?

1) I put the DVD in the Mac tower hard drive; 2) hit "Finder" on the Window that popped up on my desk top after inserting the DVD, which then opened up an icon on the desktop that showed the DVD; 3) I dragged and dropped the video file into this DVD icon; 4) double clicked the DVD icon to open up a window which showed the video file; 5) I then hit "burn" in the upper right corner of this window to burn to the DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, to author a DVD, you need to do a bit more then just drag and drop an mpeg2 file onto the disc.

you have a few options -

Option 1) Get Burn to make simplistic playable DVDs, for easiest use, I believe you'll want to export to a quicktime movie to drop the files into burn to author a disc

Option 2) Take a .mov file that you exported from FCP and launch iDVD and create a project and drop that video file into that project. It will create a more advanced DVD then burn.

Option 3) You will want to learn how to use DVDStudio Pro. You'll need to take your master export video (usually a quicktime .mov, not mpeg at this point), run it through compressor to create your video file (mpeg2) and an audio file (ac3) - there are presets in compressor to do that.

Then you will have both a video and audio file, with that you will want to go into DVD Studio Pro, create a new project and import the assets into that project and either create a menu for it or set the video tracks to play on insert. DVD Studio Pro is the most powerful of the 3 options, but also the most complicated.

OP
R
Reaction score
What are "Burn" and iDVD? Are those programs on my Mac? Or they somekind of software I need to upload on my Mac? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Burn is free software you can get online from here: Burn - Home - it's a well known package that MANY Mac users have and use.

iDVD is part of the iLife package so is included on every new Mac. If you bought yours used and it was wiped and OSX had a fresh install and they didn't reload iLife, you *might* not have it, but in reality you should. It should be located under Applications

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.