Picture Saving

Reaction score
Maybe it's just inexperience but I've come across something that I can't figure out "how to" if you will.

When I attempt to save a picture, I'll right-click, save image as, and the default location comes up (pictures obviously) but when I type in the name of the file, it erases the .jpg ending and then it doesnt recognize that it is indeed a picture file. In windows, all i had to do is right click, save, type name, and i was golden.

Any thoughts/help?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Just add .jpg to the end of the filename.

OP
B
Reaction score
lol, that would be the easy thing to do, which i have been doing, but it seems an unnecessary step. When i want to save and image, shouldn't it be a default that I want a jpg so all i should have to type is a name.

Reaction score
Copy the phrase .jpg

Paste it after your rename.

Swot I do.

Actually, in a series of pics, I copy the whole name, inc .jpg, then amend the name just a bit, usually in a series of SPACE a, b, c etc

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Save a picture from where?

Reaction score
What browser are you using? And when you're saving as, what does the box say that's under the file name box? I'm assuming that it says "all files" or something, try clicking it and seeing if you can change it to JPEG Fle. That's the default for Firefox/Chrome and it allows me to just type the name and automatically saves the tag.

And if you're saving a lot of pictures with similar names (pictures from various web galleries, etc.) and you get tired of renaming them because they all have generally the same name, use Chrome. It automatically adds (#) after the name when there's a duplicate, speeding everything up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Just highlight that part of the name excluding the .jpg before typing in the name your want.

C

chas_m

Alternate idea: you're trying to save a picture that you see on a web page in your browser, is that right?

If so, why not just grab the picture with the mouse and drag it onto your desktop? What happens to the filename when you do that?

You can always then file the picture into the Pictures folder or anywhere else you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
Png?

Hi,
I tried dragging the photo onto the desktop - works great but I get a .png file not a .jpg. Never come across this before, is it basically the same thing?

C

chas_m

A "png" file is not a jpg, but it is another perfectly valid picture format (usually used for when you want no background on a picture, like a logo for example).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
If so, why not just grab the picture with the mouse and drag it onto your desktop?

...and this is why I read threads that I think I know the answer to. What a great tip. I'm always doing a "save as" Just dragging to the desktop is so easy!

Thanks
Monty

C

chas_m

Glad to help! Of course, the rest of that sentence should read "and then don't just leave the dragged pictures cluttering up the desktop, file them somewhere else at some point." :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Glad to help! Of course, the rest of that sentence should read "and then don't just leave the dragged pictures cluttering up the desktop, file them somewhere else at some point." :)

Oh yes, one of my obsessions is a clean desktop. I use my desktop for temp files or work on progress. It is always cleaned off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.