Need Help Purchasing Mac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a budget of a thousand dollars and I was wondering if anybody could recommend any Mac Desktops?

thanks so much!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You can probably find a refurbished iMac for around $1000, or even a previous generation version which would run just fine. Macs tend to be usable for a long time. My MBP is from 2008 and still runs as fast as the day I bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Look around on Craigslist if it is available in your area. You may not live in Portland, OR but here is an example of what I found just from a quick skim:

iMac for 1,000

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
so let me get this straight, you're suggesting I spend a grand on a used computer?

It's an option yes. You can also try the refurbished store on Apple's website. They have the same warranty as a new computer. Can't even tell that they are refurbished almost...they don't come with the original box that's all.

If you want to buy new then there is always the Mac mini but you need to have your own monitor, keyboard etc.

The base iMac is slightly out of your price range, by like 110 dollars minus tax. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Well, the cheapest new iMac will cost you $1200, and a Mac Mini is about $700. So, unless you're willing to upspend, or get a Mini, then yes; My personal suggestion is to get a refurbished/used Mac.

Reaction score
so let me get this straight, you're suggesting I spend a grand on a used computer?

Mac's are expensive, and they will hold value more than any PC. At 1000 you are still looking at a used iMac.

If spending that much for a used desktop is a put off, then try to hold out and save up 300 more $ and get the new iMac, it is amazing and you won't regret it.

Reaction score
Apple computers hold their value for years to come and my personal experiences can attest to this.

Right now I'm using a second hand BlackBook; the black MacBook released a few years ago. This model is from 2008.

Upgraded ram to 4 gigs, upgraded HDD to 5600rpm. 2.2ghz. I went into an Apple store for kicks with the machine and ran it side by side with the iMacs and MBPs (all with iCore processors) and loading web pages was virtually the same, opening programs like iTunes and browsers maybe trailed by a second at the most.

Of course, all of this isn't really CPU intensive but it's what I do on a day to day basis, 90 percent of the time.

You'll also see people talk about using their Mac for years without slow down or lag. It's great having a computer that doesn't break, slow down, or get "old" on you after a few years. You just keep using it until you need something better.

Personally I wanted to get the MBP after my friend got his (2010) but right now the only advantages he has over mine (form me anyway) is the backlit keyboard (which only comes in handy when my friend turns all the lights off at his house) and having a longer battery life (which was remedied after getting a spare battery off of ebay).

Oh, and the multitouch trackpad but I love keyboard commands so that isn't much of a problem either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Judging by the 'banned' OP's other posts, I suspect there is no point in wasting your time adding to this thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.