• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Are DVD regions held by Mac or DVD drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Hi I'm converting my entire DVD collection for use with my Apple TV etc

I live in UK so use Region 2.

I have accidentally put some Region 1 DVD's in when not paying attention! Needless to say I have learnt my lesson!

With lnly 2 changes left I have devised a plan:

I will buy an external DVD drive to use.

So my question is, baring in mind I only have 2 changes left, what keeps track of the region changes, the Mac or the Drive itself?

In short, will my idea work?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The drive.

I'd recommend you download VLC for playing your DVDs from other regions. It does not care what region the disc came from and it is free.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Thanks Bobtomay. Love VLC but doesn't help with regions when ripping.

Answer is much appreciated

C

chas_m

Your idea won't work. The answer is "both."

The actual solution you are looking for is to go into System Preferences, CDs&DVDs, and change "use DVD Player" for movie DVDs to "Ignore." This will mount the disc, but NO program will automatically start up. Then you can use Handbrake or whatever you are using (or VLC if you want to play them, or whatever) without further penalty.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas_M! Really appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Lion
NO way to circumvent region coding

Sorry guys!
None of this works. VLC nor any other app such as Handbrake or Mac The Ripper, are completely unable to even play a DVD from another region.
The ONLY way seems to be to change the region coding setting, which only works for 4 times, then you have burnt your bridges forever!

This is definitely ridiculous these days when it is possible to legitimately buy overseas DVDs over the internet!
:Not-Amused:

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Darrall - I've found it does work. Not sure what you're doing so sorry can't be of more help but I've been finding this works with Handbrake just fine - i.e turning off "auto load' when DVD is put in and then just getting handbrake to recognise as source

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.