Airport Extreme/Express

B

bingwalker

I'm getting ready to switch, but still am not certain about the networking hardware that Apple offers. If I already have a home wireless network do I need to buy the Airport hardware? Also, what is the difference between Express/Extreme?

2ndly,

If I go with the iBook 12" can I add an external DVD burner that will work with iDVD instead of spending the money for a superdrive?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You do not need to buy any additional hardware except make sure that your computer has AirPort Extreme (I think all computers come standard with it now)

Airport Express is a small router that you can connect to your stereo to listen to your music on your computer through your stereo wirelessly

AirPort Extreme is the wifi card in the computer.

2. Yes you can buy a external burner that will work with iDVD

OP
B

badmojo

Just to add to trpnmonkey's statement Apple makes two routers, in effect. 1) the Airport Extreme Base Station. This has more bells and whistles on it than an Airport Express, but costs more. Go to Apples site to read all about it.

2) The Airport Express is a different kind of 'router' but will function like a typical router, nonetheless. You can connect a printer to it, feed wireless iTunes music to your home stereo or powered speakers, use it as a LAN/WAN extender, wifi bridge, connect wireless computers to your WAN, etc. It's pretty handy overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually for the average user the Airport Express has better functionality. (Wireless music streaming).

The Airport Extreme router adds an internal analog modem, antenna port, a power over LAN option and support for up to 50 users (vs. 10 users on the express).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No: The Extreme antenna's port is for hooking up directional antenna to boost your wireless signal in a certain direction.

The express features the ability to wirelessly transmit your music from the computer to the router itself: You can plug speakers into that.

So say your mac is in the office with all your music on it and your stereo is in the living room.
Just connect the Airport express to your stereo system and you can now stream your music wirelessly from the office to your speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
is there anything for the soundcard that has a transmitter? i thought thatd be really cool to say have my whole house listen to my G5...otherwise ill just have to wait to save for an iPOd and iTrip

too bad they coudlnt broadcast to TVs wirelessly..how could would that be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can get radio transmitters that just plug into a standard headphone jack and run off batteries...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
yea i know youu can..i was looking at one for my ipod shuffle.

i was jst under the impression though that the box you plugged into the wall, would turn like the wires in your house into a small close circuit antenna...lol dunno why i thought that, i saw the USB and ethernet...

still would be cool if that was doable without the extra recievers.

but, i just discovered how to share my iTunes across a network with my bro. now thats cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there is a solution that plugs into your electricity socket and creates a ethernet connection through that.
It also has a module that can connect to your stereo systems and transmit the music from your computer through the wiring in your house to your stereo.

Not sure if it is mac-compatible though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ethernet through 120line, thats interesting. convenient too. i know of HPNA, but i didnt think it was very fast

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.