• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

trying to log and transfer

Reaction score
I am trying to log and transfer footage that was captured on an external hard drive via another Mac. When I try to log and transfer the footage to another Mac from this external hard drive I get this message:
"Warning, converted footage contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media?" What does this mean in English, and how can I get these files logged and transferred so I can begin editing? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It means you're pointing the L&T to a location that has the video files not in what it expects.

L&T is very specific (which is why I had mentioned when copying the video to copy the entire SD card folder structure into a single folder on your storage medium in the other post that we had talked about importing footage) - it won't work with just any folder structure.

If you're trying to import video from a copy of an SD card (where you copied the entire structure, point L&T to the folder that contains the Private folder.

If you're trying to import random video on your drive, you'll have to either attempt to import into FCP in another way or transcode first. This is why taking footage out of the hierarchy is a bad thing to do :(

OP
R
Reaction score
When you are logging and transferring, where are your transferred files going to on the hard drive? How do you control where the transfer is going, i.e., can you make a folder on your hard drive and direct the transfer to go in that folder?

C

chas_m

Are you going to post a new thread every single time you run into something in FCP (a program you have clearly never worked with before) that you don't immediately understand?

May I suggest you take a break and read a book or watch some tutorial videos until you grok the underlying concepts of FCP a little better?

OP
R
Reaction score
Are you going to post a new thread every single time you run into something in FCP (a program you have clearly never worked with before) that you don't immediately understand?

May I suggest you take a break and read a book or watch some tutorial videos until you grok the underlying concepts of FCP a little better?

I always check both the FCP manual and do a thorough Google search before posting any inquiries here, and I have watched hours of on-line tutorials on FCP. The fact is that the very basic and elementary questions I have posted here are not addressed in any of the places I just mentioned (Izzy Video is the only info I have encounterd on FCP that actually speaks in clear English). I think I probably need to invest in Final Cut Pro for Dummies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.