Windows 7 on Mac

Reaction score
Hi I recently installed windows 7 using Boot camp on Mac. Once the installation is completed when i restart i get only the option for windows and i am not able to go the Mac. I am thinking it might be because the windows DVD is still inside the drive. I don't know how to eject it. As it is always loading on windows my eject key functionality is also not working. Can someone help me with this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you haven't quite finished your installation.

In Windows 7, open 'Computer' and you should see all drives listed. Single-click the DVD drive and then choose 'Eject' from the top of the Explorer window:

2011-06-05_0900.png

Once that's done, be sure to pop in your OS X installation disc, which should contain the needed support software for your added hardware (if you were not prompted to burn a disc during the Boot Camp Assistant process - if you were, use that instead).

You can choose between Windows and OS X by holding the Option key down immediately upon turning the machine on. You can also choose your default startup disk from the Control Panel in Windows (once the support software is installed) or the System Preferences in OS X.

Reaction score
question of security

Hi guys, just before i buy my mac i was wondering if i put windows 7 software on my new mac running OS x will i have to buy anti virus software etc for the additional operating system?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys, just before i buy my mac i was wondering if i put windows 7 software on my new mac running OS x will i have to buy anti virus software etc for the additional operating system?

It's still Windows, so it will be just as subject to viruses as any other PC running Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you do not have to 'buy' AV software. Two of the better types, Microsoft Security Essentials and ClamWIn are freeware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
What about a more robust firewall than what Win7 has? I am running Win7 through virtualbox.
Does OSX provide the firewall to the entire computer when you are running a VM?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about a more robust firewall than what Win7 has? I am running Win7 through virtualbox.
Does OSX provide the firewall to the entire computer when you are running a VM?

Since most modern broadband modems have a NAT firewall at a minimum, the need for a robust software firewall is kind of negated. Even if you travel outside of your home network with Windows running in a VM, it's still protected by the Mac's firewall as a guest OS.

Even if you're running Boot Camp, I'd say the built-in Windows firewall is more than good enough for most people - unless you're really paranoid and want to monitor out-bound traffic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.