Using Windows 7 System Builder with Bootcamp?

Reaction score
I'm still trying to understand this whole "system builder" thing. I want to put windows 7 64bit on my Macbook (Late 2009) but I dont understand the system builder version versus the retail version. Why wouldn't i buy the one thats $50-100 cheaper? Is system builder somehow illegal for personal use, because that seems to be hinted at on some forums i've looked at.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is designed for those building systems for resale.

MS wants everyone purchasing the full retail version for existing computers.

The primary difference, the retail version can be removed from one computer and installed on another computer and be within the MS EULA and not much of a hassle activating it on another computer. The OEM version is tied to the computer it is first installed on and might not be able to be installed on another machine.

The 2nd difference, MS supports the retail version. The person that installs the OEM version provides their own support.

The OEM version is what nearly all of us use on our Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.