• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Another company using the Airport name, your thoughts....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just curious about others thoughts on something.

I work for a vending company, and one particular supplier of coin mechanisms has just launched a new mech with a wi-fi system incorporated (for completely over the top reasons!). However, they have decided to call this system Airport.
Now, given Apple's fierce reputation for defending brand, I wondered what they may make of that, seeing as it is a wi-fi system, and it has the same name as Apple's.
What do you guys think? I reckon Apple may be more than a little interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple would not really be able to do anything if someone used the name for an unrelated product, like a system that automatically pumps up your tires in a car. But since its a wireless product, they are asking for a lawsuit.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If it becomes large enough to hit their radar screen - and warrant the cost of a cease and desist letter - then I'm sure that's exactly what will happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would not have taken a chance ever since I can remember in wi-fi Airport has been
synonymous with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If it becomes large enough to hit their radar screen - and warrant the cost of a cease and desist letter - then I'm sure that's exactly what will happen.

They have an entire legal team. Firing of a letter is pretty easy and pretty much free to them. Even suing you out of existing over trademark breach isn't really that expensive.

Not really worth it over something so obvious.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Apple would not really be able to do anything if someone used the name for an unrelated product, like a system that automatically pumps up your tires in a car. But since its a wireless product, they are asking for a lawsuit.

Exactly my thoughts, fine if it weren't for the fact that it is very specifically a wi-fi system called Airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Lawyer here. This is a prime example of trademark infringement. If Apple sued, this company would most definitely lose.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here ya go..."Airport" is already a registered trademark (see list):

Apple - Legal - Trademark List

Many companies (as a barrier to competition) many times trademark & patent things before the product ever hits the market. They even have tons of things that are trademarked & patented that never see the store shelves or the "light of day".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if it wasn't a registered trademark, this would still constitute infringement. If people associate a certain product or brand with one particular company and then somebody else comes along with a similar product with the same name that would result in consumer confusion, then you have a case of trademark infringement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohh yeah (trademarked or not)...I'm sure Apple would fight it either way!;)

- Nick

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting to hear that from a lawyer, thanks Kash.
I did mention to the company rep that I thought they were on shaky ground. He didn't seem aware of Apple or the name, but I'm sure the actual creator of the system was more than aware.
Now, do I mention it again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Your chance to jump on there bandwagon by mentioning it again, but also within the same breathe tell them of a new name for it.

They are so busted lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well...if they do eventually hear from Apple about it...you'll be the first person that their "hit-squad" will be looking for.;) So maybe it's better to keep a low-profile!:)

But honestly...I know that you're just trying to be helpful...but you're being the messenger delivering not such helpful info...and you know what happens to messenger's delivering bad news.

In the end...they're not going to change anything until someone takes legal action against them. We at Mac-Forums can't stop people from spilling liquid on their computers!!!;)

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
lol, what is the exact function of the new wifi system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get ready Kev to have your rear ends nailed to the wall!

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, what is the exact function of the new wifi system?

Trying not to go into too much detail (because it's boring, if clever)...

Coin Mech's have a change carousel that is removable for maintenance (clearing jammed coins etc), and this wi-fi system is designed to send a message to a localised server to tell them when the carousel has been removed. This then sends an email to a pre-determined person's computer to tell them someone is at the machines coin mech. It's basically a very expensive way to try and prevent theft, because if they can look on the system and see that no engineer is scheduled to be there at the time, they can raise an alert.
Of course, the theif would still need keys or another method to get into the machine, and you need someone monitoring the system, and by the time all the above has happened the thief will be gone.

Get ready Kev to have your rear ends nailed to the wall!

Well I don't work for the company making the mech, so no danger there really. I think I'll just leave them to suffer the consequences of their ignorance.

Reaction score
Apple should sue airports themselves. Given the sheer number of those places across the globe, they will no doubt manage to double their profits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple should sue airports themselves. Given the sheer number of those places across the globe, they will no doubt manage to double their profits.

I can see you're trying to be clever, but that would be a losing proposition as no reasonable consumer would confuse Apple's AirPort technology with actual airports.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And of course...if there were any sort of actual grounds for a legal case...Airports (the places with planes) have been around a LOT LONGER than Apples Airport wireless technology. So I'm pretty sure the use of the term "Airport" (for the place with planes) would take precedence over a wireless networking technology.

So there's no way Apple is going to "double their profits" by somehow licensing the term "Airport" to airports.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not know about that Nick.

Here down under 'Uggh' boots had been made from sheepskin and fleece, and marketed under that name for fifty or so years. Some bright lawyer in the States registered the name and the company cannot market under that name, have changed them to 'EMU' brand.

As Randy B. Singer will tell you, if it was not for lawyers we would not need lawyers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.