• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iTunes shows automatic app syncing in iOS 5

Reaction score
iTunes shows automatic app syncing in iOS 5

ios5-leak.jpg
Apple gave a possible clue to an iOS 5 feature with a mention of automatic app syncing in iTunes. A check of the app updates page by Marcelo Alves showed that a device can be enabled for Automatic Download to get both purchased apps and updates directly, without having to link up to iTunes. No feature of the kind exists in iOS 4.3, leading MacRumors to suggest the notice (since pulled) was a clue as to what was in store at WWDC....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
About time... never have understood the need for having to re-enter your password to update apps you already have.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This is great; I definitely welcome the feature.

But as the article mentions, it doesn't actually mean we are getting over-the-air updates, so we never have to connect our devices to the computer again. But that the one feature, I'd love the most.

Now, we just need the ability to never have to charge my iPhone ever again. :p (And yes, I remember the solar power article.)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Well - just to be the lone dissenter (because every thread needs one :) ) there are definite times where I have forgone updates - because I didn't want some of the changes - or like some of the changes. They're not common - probably 3 times since I've had my iPad but I do like previewing the changes on certain apps - the ones I use the most - before updating. I'd like this to be a selectable option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I do the very same before updating,made the mistake a few times with some of my favs and the update competely changed the app lol

Not that it happens often,but i swore it would never happen again

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I do the very same before updating,made the mistake a few times with some of my favs and the update competely changed the app lol

Not that it happens often,but i swore it would never happen again

Exactly - sometimes developers don't know when to stop developing. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I like the auto update deal but I suppose the over the air iOS updates (and App updates as well) could be an issue for those on "limited" data plans. Maybe they'll restrict it as they currently do to only things under 20Mb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.