Mac Folder Navigation is KILLING ME!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17; 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 gig memory; OSX 10.6.2
This on is so hard to explain but it annoys me at least a dozen times per day. So I'll try.

The folder navigation in Mac OSX (I'm using 10.6.7) is sometimes, but not always contextual. Sometimes I'll find myself having navigated to a sub-folder (e.g., for a save or open), but I can't "back out" of it. This is super annoying, since the Mac knows exactly where I am.

Let's say I have a sub-folder called "travel" in my "documents" folder. And in "travel" there are several others, like "New York 2011" and "Florida 2011".

If I open a travel itinerary from email and try to save it, I might find "New York 2011" in the recent list. I can navigate to it, but I can't navigate out of it to "travel" and thus find "Florida 2011". Instead I have to start over at documents -> Travel -> Florida 2011.

This is a simple illustration, but you can imagine what a pain it is when you're 7 sub-folders down.

Any insight?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are at the Save/Open dialog and looking at the folder listed. You can click on it to show you a hierarchy of that directory structure, if you don't like that, you can choose "Other..." from there and then that should allow you to go to an entirely different directory..

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17; 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 gig memory; OSX 10.6.2
@Raz0rEdge - no, I can't. The hierarchy doesn't appear. If i create a new Word document, for instance, and then try to save it, the default save folder is the last one I saved to. If that folder is a sub-folder or a sub-sub folder, I can't navigate upward. This is so frustrating.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I wrestled with this a little when I first got the Mac - but I understand it better now. If you click the drop down arrow to the right - you'll get a better feel for where you are in the folder structure. It'll show your file/folder structure below the save as dialog box. If you click the dropdown window - it will show the folder you're in - plus some of your most recently used folders.

If I was on my Mac right now I'd describe it better - and with a few screenshots - but I'm at work on Windows XP. :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
What you can do is "customise toolbar" in Finder to add this:

attachment.php

when you click that, it will show your heirarchy, and you can choose which to be in by clicking it.

Screen shot 2011-06-01 at 15.49.39.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Also try Finder -> View -> show pathbar -> this will show a pathbar at the bottom.

Or hold down cmd when clicking on the folder title it will also show you a list of folders that will help navigate. (Bonus tip this cmd-click title does different things, try it in Safari)

There is Also Finder -> cmd-up arrow - that is go to enclosing folder (cmd-down arrow is go into selected folder)

Edit:
I see that you are asking about the save dialogs. There is a little down arrow that shows the navigation for folders. Also try the cmd-up and cmd-down, but you could also try using column view. That might help the navigation. Also try default folder X - I got it in a bundle but it gives a lot more navigation and other options.
http://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Are you clicking the little blue button with the black triangle on it in the Save dialog box?

Reaction score
Does your dialog look like the first pic or the second?
Click on the blue square with the black triangle to get the second.

Save As.jpg

Save As2.jpg

Reaction score
Default Folder X can probably help you. It soups up the default open and save boxes by adding a chrome that lets you, among other things, navigate to your most recently used folders (whether they were used by the program in question, or something else) or to other folders in a hierarchical way. Check out the screencast on their home page. It's free to try for 30 days too.

(Another program that I use, which I highly recommend, is Total Finder, which brings tabs to Finder so you don't have a million windows open keeping you disorganized and frustrated)

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This on is so hard to explain but it annoys me at least a dozen times per day. So I'll try.

The folder navigation in Mac OSX (I'm using 10.6.7) is sometimes, but not always contextual. Sometimes I'll find myself having navigated to a sub-folder (e.g., for a save or open), but I can't "back out" of it.
That was pretty good. The only thing you failed to mention was that you're in the Save Dialog, not the Finder itself, as "folder navigation" could imply.

If you click the drop down arrow to the right - you'll get a better feel for where you are in the folder structure. It'll show your file/folder structure below the save as dialog box. If you click the dropdown window - it will show the folder you're in - plus some of your most recently used folders.
That's it. That dropdown appears when you click the arrows next to the name of the folder it's currently pointing to, and it shows you the folders above it in the hierarchy, listed in reverse, that is, the topmost in the structure is at the bottom of the dropdown, then the recent folders list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Also try Finder -> View -> show pathbar -> this will show a pathbar at the bottom.

Or hold down cmd when clicking on the folder title it will also show you a list of folders that will help navigate. (Bonus tip this cmd-click title does different things, try it in Safari)

There is Also Finder -> cmd-up arrow - that is go to enclosing folder (cmd-down arrow is go into selected folder)

Excellent tips, thanks ALOT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
If you want to skip past all navigation hassles altogether when for a time using a particular group of folders a lot and they're otherwise buried, drag em over to sidebar and raft 'em up there.

That has turned out to be a pretty cool feature.

when you're done with them they can return whence they came.

Reaction score
I highly recommend Total finder for all your navigation related worries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you want to skip past all navigation hassles altogether when for a time using a particular group of folders a lot and they're otherwise buried, drag em over to sidebar and raft 'em up there.

That has turned out to be a pretty cool feature.

when you're done with them they can return whence they came.

Well, they don't actually move. ;)

Reaction score
OMG

Thank you robduckyworth & IvanLasston - this has been a pain in the backside for me ever since I switched over to a Mac and I (foolishly) assumed there wasn't anything I could do about it!

lol - can't believe I've been putting up with this annoyance for so long!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's one thing I like about using Macs. So much of this level of operation can be changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.