Security, junk cleaner and other tips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
were do I get them!!!
Just received my Macbook yesterday, so am a complete novice. Firstly forgive me if these questions have already been posted.

Do I need an anti-virus programme and I have just activated the Macs firewall is this okay?

Also do I need to load any other software like crap cleaner or anything else?

And this may be a totally stupid question, can I d/l windows media or realplayer for a Macbook?

Thanks in advance

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
C

chas_m

The OS X firewall is unnecessary if you own a router, which has a hardware firewall.

Having both doesn't make you double-safe, it just doubles the chances of program conflicts and other hard-to-diagnose internet problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I defiantly do not use any AV software, but do use Onyx as it is reliable software, also VLC more than any other for Videos > DVD`s etc

Defiantly do not want to run any windows related software. As there is a plethora of Mac software that does the exact same job if you are switching.

And this forum is a great information centre with lots of related links.

Reaction score
Hi,

I defiantly do not use any AV software, but do use Onyx as it is reliable software, also VLC more than any other for Videos > DVD`s etc

Defiantly do not want to run any windows related software. As there is a plethora of Mac software that does the exact same job if you are switching.

And this forum is a great information centre with lots of related links.

New to this forum but have owned my mac for a year or two. Recently experienced an "attack" from unwanted sites and decided to install security suite offered by Intego. Paid them $70 for the annual subscription and have been extremely disappointed. Mac is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. I decided to uninstall last night. Mac runs great now. Called Intego today to try and get a refund. Ha, fat chance. The "customer service" guy was practically yawning as he told me no refund and that I'm an idiot if I think I can remove the Intego by moving it to the trash. Hmmm....seemed to work since the Mac works fine after I did it. I will write off the $70 as a lesson...don't waste your time or money with this company!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.