need advice,thinking about a macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina, Late 2013, Memory 8GB, Yosemite.
hi,i have a pc at the moment and am thinking about a macbook,any help or advice would be good

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hi,i have a pc at the moment and am thinking about a macbook,any help or advice would be good

I would suggest visiting your nearest Apple Store (if you have one)...and
"playing" around with the computers for a while.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 4 GB
What do you use your computer for mainly?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved. Does not belong in "News and Community Announcements".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Advice would be hard to give without getting an idea of the main use you'd be looking to get out of your computer. Also, it is nice to know your preferences regarding your potential purchase (size, model, etc). :)

Reaction score
I would suggest (as someone else did already) to go to the nearest Apple store or any store with Apple computers and test them out for a while. If you can, find one in the corner or something so you won't be bothered as much and see how it is. They're always connected to the internet so you can hang out and get used to the operating system.

Open applications, move files around in the finder (if you have that functionality) and just play with it. You aren't going to discover all the small nuances the OS has in terms of functionality while in the store but you will get a general idea.

C

chas_m

Playing with a Mac in a store after using a PC is kind of like someone buying you a day's rental of a Ferrari convertible.

The controls are a little unfamiliar and you're a bit cautious/self-conscious, it's not what you're used to -- but DAAAAAY-UMMMM!

Reaction score
Playing with a Mac in a store after using a PC is kind of like someone buying you a day's rental of a Ferrari convertible.

The controls are a little unfamiliar and you're a bit cautious/self-conscious, it's not what you're used to -- but DAAAAAY-UMMMM!
A defitely. It was very surprising when I took my blackbook I thee abd, realize that the held its own against the newer icore machines. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the had dive to a 7200rpm on to make it even faster.

C

chas_m

Young Spade: I just (finally) did that with my BB, definitely puts a spring in its step, though it does run the fans a little more (just a little more, mind you).

Reaction score
Young Spade: I just (finally) did that with my BB, definitely puts a spring in its step, though it does run the fans a little more (just a little more, mind you).
Are you serious? The last thing I want to do is increase the fan speed lol. However, does it improve overall speed? And how much ram do you currently have?

C

chas_m

Well, a drive spinning at around 50% faster speeds is naturally going to generate more heat (physics, you know) and thus require a *bit* more cooling than a 5400 rpm drive, but I'm not sure why you'd find that surprising.

As for overall speed, again I'm not sure what you mean by that. It *does* improve the speed of operations that require a lot of disk usage, but (of course) does nothing to improve operations that don't require disk usage. So the answer depends a lot on the apps you use and how disk-dependent they are.

As for my machine's RAM, it's maxed out at 3GB. (well 4GB actually but only 3GB "seen")

Reaction score
Thanks. Naugh, I mean I knew that I could cars more fan usag an higher speeds, just complaining a bit :)

By yea I was just wondering if it was a noticeable difference and worth the money. I have an external drive so size isn't an issue, mainly speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.