cmd + backspace

Reaction score
Hey,

When I delete files, like songs, photo's I always press cmd + backspace. If these files are deleted they don't go to my recycling bin? It somewhat annoying because I cannot retrieve files in this way.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I do wrong or what is going on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Instead, just drag the files to the Trash Can and they will sit in there until you empty it (provided you don't have the auto-remove feature turned on).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
ok.....see if you are deleting from iphoto using cmd + backspace then they go to iphoto trash and not to your recycle bin.....when you choose the option of emptying iphoto trash then they go to recycle bin....and now from there you can either putback or delete the stuff.......

and when you (if) are deleting songs from itunes it will ask
"" Do you want to move the selected song to the Trash, or keep it in the iTunes Media folder?""

as you said specifically songs and photos just let us know from where are you deleting from itunes library or iphoto....same case is applicable

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
(provided you don't have the auto-remove feature turned on).

How can I see if I have a auto-remove feature turned on?

edit: I don't know what the problem was, but I restarted my laptop, and suddenly the empty trash bin was full with files from all week. Very strange ...

C

chas_m

Hint: Macs don't have recycle bins. They have trashcans. We also don't have a backspace key. We have a delete key. Learning the Mac terminology will prove useful going forward.

Also: Apple doesn't make laptops. They make notebooks. :)

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
Hint: Macs don't have recycle bins. They have trashcans. We also don't have a backspace key. We have a delete key. Learning the Mac terminology will prove useful going forward.

Also: Apple doesn't make laptops. They make notebooks. :)

All the same :m

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
H Learning the Mac terminology will prove useful going forward.

But that's how you can tell if someone is really a Windows person! ;)

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
But that's how you can tell if someone is really a Windows person! ;)

AND this is the switcher's lounge so its normal that I was a windows person, and I am proud to say I WAS a windows user and now a MBP user!

Reaction score
@Chas.m
"We also don't have a backspace key" So, how long have you been in computers????? Since 1980?? If so you know that Mac's DO have a backspace key, that performs a delete function. Based on the VT100 specification for cursor control the de-facto standard for cursor controls, the Mac's behavior is: when the delete key is pressed the character immediately to the left of the cursor position is deleted... That, my friend is backspace delete. A Delete function removes the character at the current cursor position, or above the cursor. Other examples are

^X for cut
^C for copy
^V for paste

I haven't tried the control diamond, but I will...

So there is some confusion in the industry...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

@Chas.m
"We also don't have a backspace key" So, how long have you been in computers????? Since 1980?? If so you know that Mac's DO have a backspace key, that performs a delete function.

All my keyboards have the word "delete" written on the key in question. It's possible that some very old Mac keyboards may have "backspace" written on them, but nothing in the last decade or so ...

You have to read what is written, not what you thought was written.

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
All my keyboards have the word "delete" written on the key in question. It's possible that some very old Mac keyboards may have "backspace" written on them, but nothing in the last decade or so ...

You have to read what is written, not what you thought was written.

The "backspace/delete" key has a <- written on it... So how should I know what its called ;P

Reaction score
Hi Chas:

'You have to read what is written, not what you thought was written'....

Yes my keyboard has "delete" on the key, but it is the function that the key performs that I was referring to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Chas:

'You have to read what is written, not what you thought was written'....

Yes my keyboard has "delete" on the key, but it is the function that the key performs that I was referring to.

one of you is a literalist (as am I) and one is not ;)

Reaction score
Ah, the joys of semantic nitpicking...

Anyway, for trash and general file management, try checking out Hazel. It should solve your organization and missing file woes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not trying to be really rude here but you're making yourself look like a ****. Who cares what it's called, it's all the same thing. Just cause he/she uses a Mac doesn't mean he/she has to refer to the terminology as a fanboy does. The MacBook Pro is a laptop, just like any other branded laptop. Just an incredibly awesome laptop at it. You're basically ridiculing him for using terms that are not as commonplace as "trashcan" and "notebooks".

Mac Math, ignore this guy - it's all the same. Don't give a toss for fanboys like him that ridicule you for using slightly different terminology that refer to the same **** thing.

*** is going on ??? Have you all gone bonkers ????

What chas was trying to reiterate is the correct terminology will go a long way in a forum when others are trying to help you out. If you have the right terminology then in 1 post we can give you a answer. If you dont have the right terminology and other members dont understand what your trying to say then 6-7, 10, 100 post later we have finally worked out what your trying to say, and NOW we can help.
Get a grip and for you to come in on a 2nd post and call someone a *whatever* then that tells me something about you . . . .

And bc we want to use the correct terminology that makes us FanBoys ??? Grow up.

Cheers

C

chas_m

I'm sorry some of you failed to notice the smiley next to the line about "laptops" and "notebooks." It was to indicate that I find it amusing that Apple stopped referring to laptops as notebooks because some of their models got too hot on the bottom to be safely used as "laptops" -- at least for men.

The rest of my post was (I thought) a gentle reminder that a) you're on a Mac now and b) the correct terms are important on a TEXT-BASED medium offering free tech support. We don't ask for much, but any help a questioner can give -- including the specs of their machine, correct terminology and clear, concise questions is always helpful and time-saving. Some people here (who, I notice, are not among the people who regularly offer accurate free tech support) apparently find that objectionable. I think that speaks for itself, really ...

Reaction score
I think you meant an ***. But I'm just guessing. ;)

No, it's 4 letters long.

*** is going on ??? Have you all gone bonkers ????

What chas was trying to reiterate is the correct terminology will go a long way in a forum when others are trying to help you out. If you have the right terminology then in 1 post we can give you a answer. If you dont have the right terminology and other members dont understand what your trying to say then 6-7, 10, 100 post later we have finally worked out what your trying to say, and NOW we can help.
Get a grip and for you to come in on a 2nd post and call someone a *whatever* then that tells me something about you . . . .

And bc we want to use the correct terminology that makes us FanBoys ??? Grow up.

Cheers

Post count doesn't really matter. Also, I thought he was being sarcastic with his post, which is why I made that post. I took it the wrong way, mistakes happen. chas_m, apologies for my previous post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.