• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Obtaining copyright permission for a Facebook video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
I have made a short video in FCP of my friends for the purposes of sharing a memory of a day out, and I have used an iTunes track (which I paid for) and which is associated with the memory of the day featured in the video.

It is a non profit video made purely for fun, to entertain and nothing else - however, this doesn't mean I can still legally use it. I have contacted the publishing company but have yet to hear back from them. Do they have bigger fish to fry than to deal with such triviality as a facebook video or will they get back to me when they see fit? It's been four days and I'd like to share it with my friends.

Roughly how much cash are they likely to demand from me to use the track, and will I get any concession/discount being that it's just an amateur facebook video using a bit of a pop song to enhance it?

Does anyone have experience with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved to the proper forum as it does not belong in "Switcher". Please read forum descriptions prior to posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How much of the song are you using in the video?

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
About half of it, I've chopped the middle chorus out so it fits the video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Here's the thing. Copyright + Internet is crazy, both in the attempt to enforce and to get around. There is the school of thought of "once it hits the internet, it is fair game" and then the other "if you use even 3 notes or 6 pixels of my work I will sue until your great grandchildren are paying mine." Both are wrong.

If you REALLY need the song, and cant come up with something simple in Garage Band, then all you should need to do is go to the band's website and get the contact information. Do the following:
1. Put the video somewhere private that you can control the access.
2. Write up a business proposal naming all the NPO information and reasons for using their song. This should include the final publication location of the video.
3. Send the owners of the song a letter/email with links to the video as well as how to gain access.
4. Wait.

Now, if you are not an NPO, don't be surprised if you are put on the back burner. If you go on and use the video, after requesting permission and not getting it, expect problems. For personal videos, realistically, there should be no problem to throw it together and put it on FB, provided you give reference back to the owner of the song.

I see both sides of the coin, being a semi-pro photographer and cinematographer. I put hells of work into my productions and post-processing. I also don't release anything on the internet large enough to be used by someone else. I have used songs out of my itunes as well, some with permission (for profit) and some without (personal projects) and I have had few issues.

Contacting them was a good step. Most don't even do that. Be patient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Give details as to who the song is by, and it is free advertising.
Only a scumbag would sue you, and anyone wise or wealthy enough would see it as promotion!
Given that, I would not only take it as free advertising, I would take it as high praise :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Only a scumbag would sue you, and anyone wise or wealthy enough would see it as promotion!

Heh, you have heard of RIAA, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was in reference to the quote I had from you about scumbags. RIAA is the music agency who went after the grandma in Florida who's grandkids downloaded a bunch of music. Among other mundane people they have also chased into bankruptcy.

You got defensive awfully quick... To someone who was pointing out something that matched your own statement... Do you work for RIAA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Give details as to who the song is by, and it is free advertising.
Given that, I would not only take it as free advertising, I would take it as high praise :)

Unfortunately, that's very bad advice under US Law. RIAA certainly doesn't agree that that position, and it's probably not best to tempt them. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not a lawyer by any means but I would imagine that the answer to this question would depend on the jurisdiction that you live in. I also don't know how much the notion of fair use will apply here (if at all). I'll have to leave this to the lawyers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hehehe... it's all about litigation in the states hey? :p

I still stand by my post, and if it were me, I'd happily let whoever it is take me to court!
What am I going to get sued for? ...profits, what profits? Posting a clip with a song that promoted someone else's music to which if any financial gain may have come, it went to the artist?
Seriously guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It is pretty much all about litigation here, that drives most of America lol.

But regardless of our personal opinions, and I think you'd find most of us would agree with you (I know I do), the trouble is because of how litigious the RIAA is here, it's reckless to advise people to break copyright law in the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... for future reference.... If I ever write a song that anyone wants to use for a video to post to the WWW (world wide web), please feel free to do so!
If you say Kane was the artist who wrote/performed the song, I thank you kindly :)

As for the above, not so much that I was advising the OP, but I certainly was suggesting that it is what I would do :p

Sue me! hehe

To the OP, if you want any of my songs, just say the word :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh, you have heard of RIAA, right?

And your point would be?

It was in reference to the quote I had from you about scumbags. RIAA is the music agency who went after the grandma in Florida who's grandkids downloaded a bunch of music. Among other mundane people they have also chased into bankruptcy.

You got defensive awfully quick... To someone who was pointing out something that matched your own statement... Do you work for RIAA?

I really did not understand your point where you quoted me in the first post... there was no defensive going on there, so, sorry for any misunderstanding.
I had to google the RIAA and all the crud connected to them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really did not understand your point where you quoted me in the first post... there was no defensive going on there, so, sorry for any misunderstanding.
I had to google the RIAA and all the crud connected to them :)

Understood. My bad, too. Noticed you are not in the US, though RIAA has gone after internationals as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ok... for future reference.... If I ever write a song that anyone wants to use for a video to post to the WWW (world wide web), please feel free to do so!
If you say Kane was the artist who wrote/performed the song, I thank you kindly :)
If you had a record company produce it, you probably wouldn't have a say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you had a record company produce it, you probably wouldn't have a say.

With Garage Band, you would not need a record company to produce it. Especially for digital distribution. Apple is offering free classes on Garage Band through Guitar Center around the US at least. I just got done with the full course - worth checking out.

C

chas_m

6string: If you googled the RIAA, then you may also be aware that yes, they HAVE sued -- AND WON -- judgements against people sharing songs without any money changing hands. Many times over, in fact.

Bottom line: the laws and practical reality don't really match. Lots of people post videos with copyrighted songs as soundtracks, but these are taken as personal-use and are rarely litigated. However they ARE illegal and COULD be litigated.

It would seem that for the most part, people tend to just post the things and let the service (Facebook, YouTube) deal with the DMCA takedown notice when it comes. I really wish there was such a thing as politicians who could craft logical, sensible copyright laws not overly influenced by corporate lobbyists who could write something FAIR and LOGICAL for both the public and the copyright holders. I support artists getting paid for their work -- even for small amounts like you'd have with a birthday video that uses a U2 song (or whatever) -- but until micropayments are ubiquitous, the law and the reality will continue to be murky and arbitrarily enforced.

Short version: unless you're open to the idea/possibility of expensive legal trouble, don't use a copyrighted song in a publicly-posted video.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
6string: If you googled the RIAA, then you may also be aware that yes, they HAVE sued -- AND WON -- judgements against people sharing songs without any money changing hands. Many times over, in fact.

Bottom line: the laws and practical reality don't really match. Lots of people post videos with copyrighted songs as soundtracks, but these are taken as personal-use and are rarely litigated. However they ARE illegal and COULD be litigated.

It would seem that for the most part, people tend to just post the things and let the service (Facebook, YouTube) deal with the DMCA takedown notice when it comes. I really wish there was such a thing as politicians who could craft logical, sensible copyright laws not overly influenced by corporate lobbyists who could write something FAIR and LOGICAL for both the public and the copyright holders. I support artists getting paid for their work -- even for small amounts like you'd have with a birthday video that uses a U2 song (or whatever) -- but until micropayments are ubiquitous, the law and the reality will continue to be murky and arbitrarily enforced.

Short version: unless you're open to the idea/possibility of expensive legal trouble, don't use a copyrighted song in a publicly-posted video.

Thanks for all the replies thus far, it's been a good read. I've decided I'll put it up on Facebook but won't bother with YouTube, they'll only remove the sound - which is annoying but better than a lawsuit.

Now it's on Facebook I am somewhat tempted to call the publishing company and tell them and ask them if I should turn myself in to a police station here in Bangkok or ask if they would prefer to fly over a couple of Los Angeles police officers to come and arrest me, because I couldn't afford to go to court.

Overall I agree with the concept of copyright (within reason) but society in the States and now even the UK had got so ridiculously litigious that you have to wonder if they are out to protect the artist or if they are simply greedy predators preying on grandmas and teenagers who have put together a compilation of their favorite Terminator 2 clips to their favorite Eminem song and posted it on YouTube - and YouTube is peppered with that kind of content.

Sad but true, "The laws and practical reality don't match" I would even say that the laws and rational thinking don't match. Whatever human progress is, this certainly isn't it. The way things are going, creative people will have very little room in which to move or to showcase their work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.