New mac issues

Reaction score
I've had my new i mac about 2 months now, and am new to mac also, a couple of things that I don't understand.
1. Safari will not download anything from u tube?
2. Mac Forums requires a couple of mins. sometimes more to download from bookmarks, also when I sign in to Mac Forums it is again a couple of mins. before the Forum actually comes on line, are these activities normal?
I made an inquiry on the OSX part of this forum on the u tube question and was advised to download Quick Time player and Perian, which I did but wondered about, it did not help the u tube issue! hipirn

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you say Download YouTube do you mean watch the video?

OP
H
Reaction score
Mac issues

I can not download utube attachments on I mail nor access u tube from the icon on the Safari toolbar? hipirn

C

chas_m

Sounds like you may have a Flash issue. Try updating your Flash to the latest version. You might also want to look at an extension for Safari called YouTube5, which forces YouTube to play its videos in HTML5 instead (which should work better, and has the added benefit of blocking those #$!* in-video ads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Do you mean to say you can't get YouTube LINKS to open from an email? I just want to make sure you get the correct terminology, which will help make things clearer in the future. You can't "attach" a YouTube video to an email, you can only include a link to one in the body of an email. And YouTube videos aren't downloaded unless you use a special program to get it onto your hard drive. Videos on the YouTube site are streamed, not downloaded.

Unless I'm missing something here. Just trying to understand the problem.

OP
H
Reaction score
Mac issues

It is readily apparent that I am a novice and don't understand all I know about OS and computers. I will try to be more accurate. I receive many emails that have a link to UTube. When I click on the link the link appears on the work bar as a http/www. address that is highlighted and that is where it stays, highlighted with no further action to stream the selection to my screen? One of the icons on my tool bar located just below the address area is for UTube. Their are other icons their also and each respond by going to their web site when clicked on, UTube does not respond?
Thanks to both of you for responding, it is probably as frustrating to you as it is to me trying to sort out issues! hipirn

C

chas_m

What happens in your browser (it would be nice if you'd tell us which browser you're using btw) when you physically TYPE IN "www.youtube.com"?

OP
H
Reaction score
Mac issues

Chas M
Sorry about the delay.
As stated in my first post I am using Safari though switching to another browser may be a better option ( I used firefox on my previous PC ).
When I enter YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Safari takes me to Search.com where there are lists of you tube videos etc. but no direct link to the you tube web site!
I can google you tube and it takes me to the actual youtube web site but is of no help in viewing an attachment on my email. hipirn

C

chas_m

hiprin: ignore it. When you add a URL here, it automatically presents it as the TITLE of the web page, not the actual URL. It's no big deal.

Now, as to your problem: the real problem here is that you are trying to go to YouTube but are getting RE-DIRECTED to another site. This could be a problem with your ISP (unlikely), your company's firewall (possible), or you have inadvertently installed a redirecting malware (likely).

If the latter, check this out: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...w-can-i-stop-being-redirected.html#post983771

OP
H
Reaction score
Mac issues

chas.m
Thanks for the tip. I followed the suggestion on the given site and can now again access You tube and stream their video's.
I would have responded sooner but have been off line for 24+ hours, my service provider says their card "blew up"! Whatever that means,
Thanks again for your help..... hipirn

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.