Panther, Older G4 Powerbooks and battery life

C

cmputercat

Ok, I just upgraded to Panther after a year with Jaguar. Suddenly my battery is draining super-fast. it's like every few seconds a percentage goes down (this is with the airport and safari running, I won't risk running Photoshop without the plug). Is this other people have noticed? I don't think it's my battery all of a sudden, but I've had this laptop for 2 years now, and I've never really had to worry too much about battery life the way I suddenly have to now. Case in point, I put the laptop to sleep and a few hours later, at least 20% battery has died off. What groks? :confused: Any help anyone could offer would be awesome. thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I looked at the Apple site and found this:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

The above links made be the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i havent noticed a thing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It looks like I have the same setup as you and believe me.. I started getting.. if I was lucky an hours worth of battery.. so I did a bunch of tests and it was having airport on. If I turn airport off.. I get my normal almost three hours.. As long as I take battery preservation steps.

OP
P

paulcone

I am experiencing the same thing, both on my Lombard and on my girlfriend's iBook Dual 500 Mhz. Yeah, my battery is 4 years old, but I was still able to get an hour under Jaguar. Since upgrading to Panther my battery life has gone down to 10 minutes. When I unplug I get the battery warning message after about a minute. Charging seems to take forever, too. The iBook is not much better. I tried turning off AirPort and that made no difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
today is really my first day of actually testing my powerbook with panther. ive got airport on and i have been on for over 2 hours and it still says 1:40 left

OP
M

mrbaze

G4 Battery Life with Panther S*cks

cmputercat said:
Ok, I just upgraded to Panther after a year with Jaguar. Suddenly my battery is draining super-fast. it's like every few seconds a percentage goes down (this is with the airport and safari running, I won't risk running Photoshop without the plug). Is this other people have noticed? I don't think it's my battery all of a sudden, but I've had this laptop for 2 years now, and I've never really had to worry too much about battery life the way I suddenly have to now. Case in point, I put the laptop to sleep and a few hours later, at least 20% battery has died off. What groks? :confused: Any help anyone could offer would be awesome. thanks.

I am shocked at how much my battery life has dropped since going to Panther! I'm lucky to get an hour on either of my batteries, which routinely gave me 4 hours+ on Jaguar. I use Airport almost constantly, so turning it off is not really an option, though I do keep the display dimmed by 4 clicks. Battery drain while sleeping is also MUCH worse--overnight I go from 100% to near zero in 12 hours or so.

What could they break in an OS to make bettery life drop so precipitously? I have to by a couple more batteries to get close to the life I had in ONE battery under Jaguar,

Any hints or any hope?

Baze in Austin

G4-500mhz, 1GB, Panther 10.3.2 (Build 7D24)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SR MBP 2.4Ghz 2GB RAM running a 30" ADC
Have you guys downloaded the battery update?

I hear that's supposed to correct some of the battery problems associated with Panther.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.