MacBook Pro -- 13in vs 15in?

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here on the forums. I'm about to graduate and buy my first Mac for college! I'm pretty set on the Pro, but I'm still not certain about the size. I talked to an Apple guy yesterday at the store and he said the 13 would be fine for what I need (I gave him the paper with all the requirements for college), but my mom's worried about my eyes getting strained or hurting while I'm writing papers, since I need this computer to be my workhorse for the next couple years. I don't want to get the 15in just for that, because it's so much more money and so many more features that I just won't use. Can anyone share their experiences about this concern if they've used their Pros for similar types of work? Thanks for any help you can give!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you gone to your local Apple store or Apple reseller? I would start there first. Everyone is different and only your know what works for you. Therefore you need to experience these things for yourself instead of people telling you what you need.

Reaction score
I've got the 13 inch (MacBook) and have had it for the past 3 years. My wife has the 15 inch Pro and after a year of direct comparison I would definitely go with the 15 inch if given the opportunity to make the purchase again for there is a significant advantage with the larger screen. Rarely do I encounter text online that I don't have to resize for ease of reading. In fact the lack of screen size is my only regret about this Mac.

C

chas_m

Either one can be plugged into a larger monitor when you're at your "home base," so I don't think the eyestrain idea is a legitimate one (I wouldn't think that even without the external monitor -- you're young, your eyes aren't shot yet!).

The 15" has -- primarily -- one main advantage over the 13", and one main disadvantage. The advantage it has is the addition of a genuine (discrete) video card (which self-activates when needed, and can be turned on manually). You haven't said what you're studying, but the genuine graphics card can be important in some fields -- 3D modelling/CAD in particular -- and is also hella useful for high-end gaming. It also features 1440x900 resolution, which again may be important in some aspects (the 13" has 1280x800, though both can support external monitors with larger resolutions).

The main disadvantage of the 15" is that it's larger and heavier than the 13". Are the advantages worth the extra money? You'll have to think long-term on this, as you expect to keep this machine for a few years.

Please note that Apple are expected to kick off their summer student promotions in about 10 days or so, which should (net) save you some money on that purchase if you're in the US.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
At 1.1 lbs weight difference - I'd go for the larger screen. You'll be packing on more than that during your first semester anyway. :) You'll be thankful during those late night study sessions on campus or at the local coffee shop for the extra screen real estate.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have been to the Apple store, once with a friend to "tour" the computer as they call it and once with my dad, but maybe I should spend a little more time using both and then make my decision.
I'm majoring in business & also in communication, so I probably won't need the graphics card or the extra 2 processors. I do, however, need it to run Windows for my business major, but that shouldn't be a problem either way.
From what I'm hearing, it might be worth it to sacrifice the price (and the extra pound) for the 15in especially because I'm getting it as a graduation gift.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Also, check your schools bookstore. The discount at the apple store was not as good as it was at the bookstore for my wife when she was still a student (this was true of software too).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
I purchased the 15" a couple of weeks ago and have been delighted with my decision. I have used borrowed a 13" before but found the screen size just too small, though maybe that is because I have always had larger laptops screens. I thought about it long and hard as I do not need, or use, all the power that it comes with. I thought about the external monitor option but I don't want to be tied down with a laptop screen I do not like - I'd just buy an iMac at that point:) In an ideal world there would be a 15" MBP with lower tech specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Either one can be plugged into a larger monitor when you're at your "home base," so I don't think the eyestrain idea is a legitimate one (I wouldn't think that even without the external monitor -- you're young, your eyes aren't shot yet!).

The 15" has -- primarily -- one main advantage over the 13", and one main disadvantage. The advantage it has is the addition of a genuine (discrete) video card (which self-activates when needed, and can be turned on manually). You haven't said what you're studying, but the genuine graphics card can be important in some fields -- 3D modelling/CAD in particular -- and is also hella useful for high-end gaming. It also features 1440x900 resolution, which again may be important in some aspects (the 13" has 1280x800, though both can support external monitors with larger resolutions).

The main disadvantage of the 15" is that it's larger and heavier than the 13". Are the advantages worth the extra money? You'll have to think long-term on this, as you expect to keep this machine for a few years.

Please note that Apple are expected to kick off their summer student promotions in about 10 days or so, which should (net) save you some money on that purchase if you're in the US.

That's the video side of it, the audio side, my biggest biff of the 13 in size is the dual audio in/out. I was rather disappointed as there is one audio jack, and you can specify in or out, but not both at the same time. If you're doing professional audio you'll be using a console anyways, but still would be nice to have. Either way, enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I went from a 17" Dell mega PC to a macbook pro 13 because of size. The 17" was nice for all the real estate it offered on the screen but, it was just too **** big! I asked myself what the reason for the laptop was and in my case, its portability, ease of use on a lap and functionality were my criteria. I don't play games (on my laptop), I don't use it for business so I don't need access to every client file, document or spreadsheet. I don't watch movies on it, I simply use it for a convenient computer when my iphone is too small and I'm away from my desktop.

My new 13" mac is portable, convenient and it does everything I need it to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
I have the 15 inch MBP, a coworker of mine has the 13 inch. I have used both on numerous occasions, and I spend a lot of time using my computer for what you are planning on using yours for - to do research and write papers for college classes :) I am very happy with the 15 inch, and that is definitely my recommendation. The 13 would work, but the 15 inch just makes everything a little bit easier when you're pulling a desperate all-nighter because you've been procrastinating for a month on that paper that you JUST KNEW was gonna be sooooo easy :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.