Just bought my first mac!

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just bought my first mac, its a new Macbook pro 15" thought I'd join up and try and find out all I can about macs as I've only used windows machines before. I also took out the one to one membership when I purchased the Macbook so that should come in handy.
Loving the machine so far!
Ollie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new Mac! Be sure to put those system discs in a safe place.

C

chas_m

The one-to-one was a good investment, congrats!

My only initial advice to you on your new purchase is this:

1. Read the three stickies in this subforum -- they all have good advice for new Mac people, and dispel a lot of myths.

2. Unless you have a specific need, don't run off to load up the thing with third-party software right away -- take some time, discover what's already on that machine. You will be surprised.

3. Learn some of the new terminology, like Dock and Finder. This will REALLY help in articulating what questions you have later. Also, be sure to list (preferably in your little "bio" on the side) your Mac specs -- saves a HUGE amount of time when answering questions. Mac 101 and Switch 101 will be big helps in this department, have a look at them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 8GB Ram AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Reaction score
Welcome, glad to have you. of course, the first thing you should do is get used to the computer and the differences between macs and PCs.

If you would call yourself an experienced user, definitely set up spaces, expose, and learn keyboard commands. They have collectively improved my efficiency by a huge margin.

If you have any questions or just want some tips/list of good applications, feel free to PM me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Welcome from another new Mac user.

OP
O
Reaction score
Cheers guys, I'm looking to use the mac for Logic mainly but so far osx seems pretty straightforward!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
Semi-new Mac user here...congrats!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forums! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
Congrats on the purchase. How's everything working for you so far?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the exciting and fun world of owning a Mac! One of the first things i did was subscribe to a Mac Magazine so each month I get to read something new about my Mac and new programs and things that have been released!

Popping in to this forum will also help you to see the potential that you Mac has and will give you some great ideas what you can use it for.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 256GB SSD, 16GB Ram
Congratulations! It's a big change on how you navigate through Mac OS.

My first Mac was the 27" iMac. The display is huge however, the text font are small. GL with your new Mac.

Reaction score
Helpdesk: what a jolly good suggestion!

Well I do have the odd good idea/suggestion - not many, just the odd one or two!! ;)

I've learnt quite a lot from subscribing to computer magazines and excellent friendly forums like this one - they are both invaluable resources!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Trollololololol.

That's nasty.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I'd always recommend double checking some stuff here on the forum. Magazines tend to push apps because they've been paid to - one example is "Mac Format", they tend to run walkthroughs on Clean My Mac - and alot of people here on the forum think the program is garbage.

Reaction score
I'd always recommend double checking some stuff here on the forum. Magazines tend to push apps because they've been paid to - one example is "Mac Format", they tend to run walkthroughs on Clean My Mac - and alot of people here on the forum think the program is garbage.
I find that the best advice is from people on forums; real people who are offering their opinion and expertise because they want to, not because they are paid to.

Now don't get me wrong, there are a plethora of great magazines, news sites, and blogs out there ( I visit them daily) but you just have to be aware of what you're reading and whether there is bias or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.