• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capacity vs function dilemma

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro, Ipod touch, Iphone4, iPad2
I've recently started downloading my DV tapes onto my macbook (320gb) so i can view them on TV via possibly apple TV in the future or possibly my xbox 360 via connect360 now (from itunes library).

It's quickly becoming clear that 320gb isn't going to hold much (about 18hrs if the counters are to be trusted).
my question is this: I can change the hard drive seemingly quite easily to a 1Tb SATA drive but that would sacrifice the SSD that came with the macbook pro, is the SATA drive much more noisy (i love how quiet the macbook is compared to my clunky windows PC) and would I be sacrificing much in function to gain storage?

If i were to attach a large external drive and store my video there rather, and keep the SSD, can I view the video stored on the external hard drive through apple TV (or does it have to be put into itunes in order for it to be accessed with the apple tv?

sorry if this is a bit disjointed but simply put, i need more storage that allows me to access my videos through apple tv without sacrificing the silent quick running of my lovely macbook... and if anyone has the holy grail as well, please let me know.

thanks
grant

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you wont be able to get a 1TB that will fit inside (2.5 in SATA drives at 1TB are generally 12mm thick, and to fit inside the Macbook need to be 9mm in thickness.)

I believe the max is 750GB, unless technology has advanced since i last looked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751

When you want to choose which iTunes library to direct iTunes to, hold option while launching iTunes.

If you have an airport extreme, you can plug the ext directly into that and stream to the ATV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If i were to attach a large external drive and store my video there rather, and keep the SSD, can I view the video stored on the external hard drive through apple TV (or does it have to be put into itunes in order for it to be accessed with the apple tv?

To watch on the Apple TV, your videos will need to be in iTunes. But that's ok. In iTunes, under Preferences, then Advanced, disable the option to "Copy files to iTunes Media folder…". Then, with your videos stored on the external drive, just drop them in iTunes. They'll stay put.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.