Reaction score
Recently Skype just went weird on my MacBook Pro, so I uninstalled it and then downloaded it again. It works perfectly fine but I have one problem! The disk for Skype which I can eject keeps popping up on my desktop, I don't want it to be there and I don't know how to remove it. I had the same problem before but somehow I managed to make it disappear, I can't remember what I did. And I know that if I eject it it'll go but every time I open Skype it'll pop up again! Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
did you drag the skype application to applications? Or are you double clicking on the .dmg every time you use skype?

OP
M
Reaction score
I dragged it to applications, so it's there in my applications folder but still on my desktop. If I drag it anywhere else it just makes a copy of it.

C

chas_m

I suspect you dragged the DMG, and not the actual application, to your Application folder. You can verify by right-clicking the Skype in your app folder and pressing cmd-i.

If it says anything other than "Application" under "type" or "Skype.app" under "Name", then what you have there is an alias or the DMG file itself, and have not yet properly installed Skype.

As it happens you may just want to trash the DMG (which could also be in your Downloads folder in your Home folder) and re-download the app anyway -- there was an update just this afternoon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Yes, Try and installing skype instead of running it from the .dmg

OP
M
Reaction score
Beside 'Kind' it says Application (intel) and under 'Name' it says
Skype.app. So now what should I do?

C

chas_m

To me it sounds like you have placed an ALIAS of Skype in your application folder. Take a look at the icon -- does it have a little arrow in one corner?

EDIT: Wait, okay, I think I got it. Here's what I think is going on.

YES, you have Skype in your application folder, but that's not what is being launched when you click on the app icon in your dock. The reason is that the icon in your Dock links NOT to the copy of Skype in your Application folder, but instead the one on the DMG in your Downloads folder. That's what is causing the removable disk image to mount.

Solution: remove the Skype icon from your dock. Drag Skype down from your Application folder into the Dock. That should do the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.