• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumor: Lion near to going live

Reaction score
Rumor: Lion near to going live

lion-dev-preview-3-wallpaper-1305408908.jpg

Trusted sources tell TUAW that OS X 10.7 Lion has gone live for internal Apple testing as recently as last week. An internal testing release generally indicates that Lion is near to a real world debut.

This suggests the new OS might possibly ship as early as WWDC with an "available today" mention at the keynote -- or it might not. But Lion is looking to be one step closer to availability for Apple customers.

Rumor: Lion near to going live originally appeared on TUAW on Thu, 26 May 2011 18:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
I might test Lion on the Mac mini before it becomes mainstream in my household...with that being said, I can't wait for Lion...I can't wait for WWDC!!! :D

Reaction score
I saw on another forum a post that read that he was on lion, I have no idea if it was true or a developer or not but it seemed legit it's getting near!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I saw on another forum a post that read that he was on lion, I have no idea if it was true or a developer or not but it seemed legit it's getting near!

Lion has been available to developers through 3 preview releases thus far..so lots of developers and sites do have access to it. You just need to register as a developer to get access to it..

Regards

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is the first version of OS X since I first switched (when 10.2 was current) that I've haven't felt like the upcoming version was going to be a no-brainer for upgrading to. Maybe there haven't been enough details brought out about it yet to get my interest piqued, or maybe I'm just exceptionally pleased with Snow Leopard. *shrug*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
If it will run it, I might give Lion a try on my old MacMini.

Not so sure about the main machine yet, but you never know :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a note on old Mac Minis. Every note I have read so far says only on a 64-Bit Core 2 Duo CPU and up. So if that is true, it will leave out the first Generation Core Duo Minis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I can hear the Lion roaring already...I want it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Just a note on old Mac Minis. Every note I have read so far says only on a 64-Bit Core 2 Duo CPU and up. So if that is true, it will leave out the first Generation Core Duo Minis.

1st gen intel iMacs were also Core Duo.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is the first version of OS X since I first switched (when 10.2 was current) that I've haven't felt like the upcoming version was going to be a no-brainer for upgrading to. Maybe there haven't been enough details brought out about it yet to get my interest piqued, or maybe I'm just exceptionally pleased with Snow Leopard. *shrug*

Don't have as much of a history with OS X as you do, but I have been around it since 10.4 - and this release is not impressing me at all. I don't want my Mac to behave like an iPad.

Now, if they would just revamp the way OS X handles printers, that might be worth some money.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
1st gen intel iMacs were also Core Duo.

Yes knew that. There were two people talking about using old Minis so that is why I singled that out. All 1st Gen Intel Macs besides the Mac Pro were Core Duo 32-Bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
To be perfectly honest, until Rosetta and Front Row for Lion are released, I don't think I'll be very inclined to upgrade. Then again, I wasn't all that inclined to upgrade my old G4 PowerBook to Leopard either at first (mainly due to performance concerns), and that just kind of worked itself out when I got a MacBook Pro with Leopard pre-loaded to replace it.

Reaction score
My Mac mini is an early 09 model...I hope I can upgrade it...:|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Mac mini is an early 09 model...I hope I can upgrade it...:|

From all I have read, as long as you have at least a Core2Duo CPU, you are good to go. We will know more soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
To be perfectly honest, until Rosetta and Front Row for Lion are released, I don't think I'll be very inclined to upgrade. Then again, I wasn't all that inclined to upgrade my old G4 PowerBook to Leopard either at first (mainly due to performance concerns), and that just kind of worked itself out when I got a MacBook Pro with Leopard pre-loaded to replace it.

There isn't going to be Rosetta for Lion or Front Ro w so you'll be waiting for awhile. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.