Apple Macbook 4 for IPhone development

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am very new to Mac. Let me say clearly, never used it before. I want to do IPhone development, First of I started with a failure of installing Mac OSX on my intel PC :D .... Later on I came to know that it is not legal either to do so. That is why I decided to buy a macbook.

Since, I am purchasing a (Used) Macbook 4 with 2.4 GHZ Dual Core 2, 4 GB HDD and frankly I don't know which operating system is installed on machine.

Is this machine enough to develop applications for IPhone ? what are other things that I should know before purchasing macbook for development.

The purpose of this machine will be development only, that is why posting in this category.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yes, it is more then enough. You only need an Intel based Mac (I'd recommend a C2D intel mac - so basically, if looking at a Macbook, a 2,1 (late 2006) or newer - the newer ones support more RAM then the older ones though). You'll need to either have it come with, or get Snow Leopard to be able to develop for the latest and greatest version of iOS. You'll need to get XCode as well, the current version is either available free (if you have a paid developers account) or for $5 (if you don't have a paid developers account).

a 4GB HDD (did you mean to say RAM?) isn't right - even the earliest Macbooks had a 60GB HD.

I'd probably want to know if the system is covered under Applecare, if it's new enough if AppleCare can still be bought for it (can be checked by the serial number on Apples website). I'd also want to know if the owner had any problems, if anything has been replaced, if it's ever dropped, anything spilled on it, etc - pretty much the standard for any system purchase. If it's a polycarb system if it has any cracks. If it's an aluminum system (unibody alum) if there are any dents or warps, etc.

a 2.4GHz system with (I am assuming) 4GB RAM and a at least somewhat decent sized hard drive is more then enough to develop - you can also connect to a larger external monitor to have more screen real estate for laying out your interfaces. One of my dev systems is a Macbook Air 11" and that only has a 1.6GHz CPU in it and it works just fine (granted a huge project might take a while to compile, but it will still compile :) )

OP
A
Reaction score
Just get the book it is 2.1 GHZ , 120 GB HDD and 2GB of Memory. I guess it should be enough for IPhone development. At least for a better start.

thanks anyway, for the answer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.