iTunes sleep timer?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a sleep timer for my itunes.

I like going to bed listening to music but I don't want it playing all night (maybe like 30mins to an hour). Additionally, I'd like to play music from a specific playlist in a random order.

Is there any way to do this? Any special download for my mac I can get? Maybe some kind of iTunes plugin?

I know of the "smart" playlists but they don't seem to allow me to do random order etc.

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
Hey,

try this; i have not used it personally but the internet seems to think that it works. Its a dashboard widget
iTunes sleep timer

And im sorry but I dont know what to suggest about the random songs.

Best of luck,
Zigdog

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Well as for random songs just pick your playlist and select shuffle (bottom left, second button from the left). as for computer going to sleep after a while I use a widget called "Off" I can't find it but look around on the widgets page and it should be there.

EDIT:
there she is. http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/off.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Two links were "page not found", and the app is not available in the U.S. store.

Not in the Canada Store either, a utility site says it's been removed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a kind of kludgy way to make it work though it should work. I think I had this put together a few OS versions back. I'll try and post more specifics tomorrow. It's actually simpler than it appears.

1. Create Desired playlist in iTunes.
2. Automator can launch iTunes and play the desired playlist (This is the part I'll have to look up).
3. Save the Automator workflow as an app and assign it to a recurring calendar alarm.
4. Second Automator workflow to close iTunes
5. Second recurring alarm triggers second workflow.

Guys here's the basic automator workflow that I used to launch iTunes. It's from an article I wrote several years ago. The section you need is called Push a Button . . . Play an Item.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sly, you never cease to amaze me with the solutions you come up with. I'm going to have to put you in for a pay raise. :D (Nice one, by the way.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, you never cease to amaze me with the solutions you come up with. I'm going to have to put you in for a pay raise. :D (Nice one, by the way.)
Thanks. If you can swing it, double the usual rate would be appreciated.:D

I need to test that a bit to make sure it works completely. At one time some iCal/Calendar alarms using Automator didn't trigger properly. The copies I have on my hard drive are based on snippets of Applescript rather than the Automator workflow. I need to reconstruct that.

One thing that I should probably clean up is that this version doesn't error check to make sure the volume containing the iTunes library is mounted.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
As a left-field suggestion, do you have an iPhone you could use instead? 'Stop playing' is one of the built-in options for the timer function.

I sometime use this when travelling on business and having trouble sleeping. Just start Music playing on the phone and then set a timer for 30 minutes to stop it again. The phone speaker is more than sufficient for this kind of listening in my opinion.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have thought of that. I mentioned something like that on a recent Sunday Chat. Someone in the forum suggested it but I don't remember who.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And as another suggestion, if you are using a laptop as I do at home you could change the battery energy settings to turn off the HD after half an hour. So you just disconnect the mag safe adaptor before bed. Or is that too left field? Obviously won't work for a desktop. Just brainstorming.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.