• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVI files on Mac OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Hello, I am a first time poster.
Someone gave me 3 AVI video files that are all over 1 GB each. Can I open AVIs in Mac OSX 10.6.7? I just returned to the Mac after years of using a Dell. Should I convert the AVIs? I downloaded a Mac video converter but it won't open them. These AVIs also won't open on my old Dell. The person who gave them to me ripped them from a DVD so perhaps these files are corrupted? Is there a way I can find out? By the way this is not pirated, it's of a local band that wants me to upload them to youtube.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Download VLC player and you should have no issues with playback at all, or Perian for Quicktime, though they should play in Quicktime anyway to be honest.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the feedback. What exactly do those two utilities do? Are they plug ins or converters?

By the way, I did download them and the avi still would not open. I think the files were corrupted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
They're codec plugins for QuickTime to allow you to play more video formats.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're codec plugins for QuickTime to allow you to play more video formats.

Thanks! Now I guess the AVI files were corrupted since they would not open in Mac or PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Certainly sounds that way sadly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.