Help - Safari Crashes

Reaction score
I get this almost twice a day. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 7.51.28 PM.png

Reaction score
The first question I have is: have you tried reinstalling Safari?

You can get a fresh copy here from Apple.

My second question is: does this happen on specific sites, or during specific activities (like anytime something Flash loads)? Or is it fairly random?

OP
Geesix
Reaction score
The first question I have is: have you tried reinstalling Safari?

You can get a fresh copy here from Apple.

My second question is: does this happen on specific sites, or during specific activities (like anytime something Flash loads)? Or is it fairly random?
First of all thanks for your response. To answer your questions, I haven't tried reinstalling safari, before I do so should I delete safari first? As for you second question, I haven't been keeping an eye on what sites it happens, but to the best of my knowledge its pretty random. An happens on just about every site such as espn.com and so on.

Reaction score
When it comes to stuff like this, I usually prefer to rename rather than delete -- so that I can always "go back" if need be. In your position, I would rename Safari.app to Safari.app.old and then install the new Safari.

Of course, you should download the new Safari before renaming ;) Or use an alternative browser like Firefox, Chrome, or Opera to get the new version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do you have the latest Safari 5.0.5 (6533.21.1) also are all your third party plugins
up to date and you can also select disable plug ins to see if this resolves the issue under security in preferences in Safari.

OP
Geesix
Reaction score
When it comes to stuff like this, I usually prefer to rename rather than delete -- so that I can always "go back" if need be. In your position, I would rename Safari.app to Safari.app.old and then install the new Safari.

Of course, you should download the new Safari before renaming ;) Or use an alternative browser like Firefox, Chrome, or Opera to get the new version.
Thank you, which one do you think is better firefox or chrome?

OP
Geesix
Reaction score
Do you have the latest Safari 5.0.5 (6533.21.1) also are all your third party plugins
up to date and you can also select disable plug ins to see if this resolves the issue under security in preferences in Safari.
Yes my safari is 5.0.5, not sure what you mean by third party plugins, can you give an example?

C

chas_m

Yes my safari is 5.0.5, not sure what you mean by third party plugins, can you give an example?

Like Flash, which is very very very very very likely the root cause of the problem.

Before you download and install a fresh copy of Safari, you should try making sure your version of Flash is up-to-date. I also strongly recommend the use of a Flash blocker such as ClickToFlash.

My guess is that your problem will mysteriously go away if you do both of these things.

ClickToPlugin/ClickToFlash Safari extensions

OP
Geesix
Reaction score
Like Flash, which is very very very very very likely the root cause of the problem.

Before you download and install a fresh copy of Safari, you should try making sure your version of Flash is up-to-date. I also strongly recommend the use of a Flash blocker such as ClickToFlash.

My guess is that your problem will mysteriously go away if you do both of these things.

ClickToPlugin/ClickToFlash Safari extensions
Thanks chas, so what your saying is I should download clicktoplugin and clicktoflash?

C

chas_m

Either one.

What they do is put you back in charge of whether a plug-in executes or not. This will have the effect of stopping A LOT of annoying Flash-based ads. It will also (by default) block Flash on other sites (like YouTube for example) and replace it with HTML5 if possible. In some cases you may want to allow an exception to play the Flash (this is where making sure you are up-to-date with Flash is important).

Flash is the single most common cause of Safari crashes, so limiting its use and trying to stay up-to-date with it are two keys to having a dramatically smoother browser experience -- on any browser.

OP
Geesix
Reaction score
Either one.

What they do is put you back in charge of whether a plug-in executes or not. This will have the effect of stopping A LOT of annoying Flash-based ads. It will also (by default) block Flash on other sites (like YouTube for example) and replace it with HTML5 if possible. In some cases you may want to allow an exception to play the Flash (this is where making sure you are up-to-date with Flash is important).

Flash is the single most common cause of Safari crashes, so limiting its use and trying to stay up-to-date with it are two keys to having a dramatically smoother browser experience -- on any browser.
Thanks chase I downloaded clicktoflash hopefully it will work. Again thanks for your help and everyone else help thank you all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would say 99% of all Safari crashes I have had were caused th bhe Flash plugin. Let us know if that solves it for you.

OP
Geesix
Reaction score
I would say 99% of all Safari crashes I have had were caused th bhe Flash plugin. Let us know if that solves it for you.
I will most definitely will, ill post back in two day to give you all an update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
In my experience Safari is the pits, had numerous issues after updates especially, spinning beachballs etc.

Never had issues with Chrome or Firefox, both of which IMHO are vastly superior to safari.

Do yourself a huge favour and dump it.

C

chas_m

Funny, I've had EXACTLY the opposite experience to you.

Chrome spies on you constantly (since it is a data-mining tool and not really a browser at all), and Firefox needs updating every 20 minutes it seems.

Safari is lightning-fast, solid as a rock, and the extensions are full of awesome. IME.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Funny, I've had EXACTLY the opposite experience to you.

Chrome spies on you constantly (since it is a data-mining tool and not really a browser at all), and Firefox needs updating every 20 minutes it seems.

Safari is lightning-fast, solid as a rock, and the extensions are full of awesome. IME.

I agree completely and love Safari. Safari in OSX is also way more polished then it is on Windows. The Windows version is slower and has a few issues with using some things here even at Mac Forums, but the OSX Safari is an excellent browser. I use it daily and keep Firefox 4, Opera and Chrome around as a back up just in case.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Chrome spies on you constantly (since it is a data-mining tool and not really a browser at all)

its_a_conspiracy1.jpg

Love safari, will never change. Used it on Windows, then OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use Safari on the Mac and IE9 on the HP so far so good.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Chrome spies on you constantly (since it is a data-mining tool and not really a browser at all)
You're going to hold on to that claim I see. I'll just leave this and this here. Really, if you're going to try and scare people away from using a product, provide some evidence. You claiming this about Chrome (and consistently so) is just as valid as me saying that OS X takes pictures of me when I'm using my Mac and sends them to a dating site or me claiming that I live in the Matrix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.