aac itunes format

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if the AAC format is as widely used/recognized as the mp3 format for listening to music, whether it's on an ipod, android device, or even (dare I say it) microsoft or sony player? I know mp3 is widely used and accepted but for example, would the aac format be just the same or is it less widely accepted/used?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
its less widely used than MP3, yes. its quite common now, and alot of devices play it, but its still nowhere near as common as MP3.

i believe Sony and Zen products can play them along with iPods ETC.

you want compatibility? MP3.

C

chas_m

Most Android products also support MP4/AAC. I wouldn't know about Microsoft audio players (ie Zunes) because nobody ever actually bought them.

While MP3 is indeed more universal, 98 percent of people are in the iTunes + iOS or iTunes + Android eco-cycle, so the fact the MP3 is more universal is pretty irrelevant in the year 2011. Five years ago it would have been much more important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
AAC is also a much better codec in general than MP3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.