Gmail queries (newbie)

Reaction score
Hey folks, i'm new to the Mac experience and loving it so far, i have set up a gmail account on mac mail but everytime i delete the mails on mac mail they come back next time i log in, its obviously redownloading from the gmail server so in order for me to permanently delete the mails never to be seen again i must delete them from the server, is there an easier way round this? i would like to be able to just delete them from mac mail and that would be the last i see of them.

any help would be great :)

Gordie

Reaction score
I dont know if it helps or not, but I use GMail as a POP email service, and these are my settings. Mail only downloads once to my Mac, but is retained on the GMail server.

Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 9.31.40 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Solution: stop using GMail as a POP service. Switch to IMAP.

We have to remember that many folks have absolutely no need to use IMAP. For the average user, whether on a Mac or PC, POP mail is fine. Owners of more than one device that can access email should for convenience sake use IMAP.

Reaction score
I use POP because I prefer to have my mail stored locally. My Internet is very stable, but even still, I don't like the idea of potentially being without something I need in the instance of a service interruption.

And it's not really such a big deal with my iPhone since, when I'm roaming around the neighborhood, I just turn off Outlook and so any new messages go to the phone while I'm out and I know what's going on back at the office. If I need to genuinely operate remotely, I'll take my MBP with me.

In my case, at least, POP works.

OP
G
Reaction score
ok im getting confused now, i have changed the incoming server to pop instead of imap but still no changed, do i need to change it on the server? and chas i was already on imap, what is the difference anyway?

When i open mac mail i dont really want to see inbox etc etc at the top and also g mail inbox etc etc at the bottom, i would rather just have a simple email client. the constant need for me to delete from the server is becoming annoying
:Confused:

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
It is really confusing.

What I do is set mail to delete trash after 1 month, and store deleted msgs' on the server.
Then I just look at what's in the top mail box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have @Gmail set up under IMAP. Instead of 'delete' the mail messages, I drag and drop them to the 'trash' folder under my @Gmail account. You can then delete the items under the 'trash' folder manually or automatically. This seems to work in deleting the unwanted emails from server. Otherwise, clicking the 'delete' does not work. The 'deleted' mails would reload from server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Deleting IMAP messages - Gmail Help

If you're using IMAP there's your answer :)

That works for both POP and IMAP. I keep mine set to immediately for my desktop Mac and never for my laptop. That way when I travel all my e-mails will still come down to my desktop when I get home. Setting it to immediately simply removes them from the server as soon as you Mac grabs them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
That works for both POP and IMAP. I keep mine set to immediately for my desktop Mac and never for my laptop. That way when I travel all my e-mails will still come down to my desktop when I get home. Setting it to immediately simply removes them from the server as soon as you Mac grabs them.
Good to know, from reading it I assumed that it did.. but since I never use POP anymore (haven't in a decade) and Felix Unger taught me about assuming... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know, from reading it I assumed that it did.. but since I never use POP anymore (haven't in a decade) and Felix Unger taught me about assuming... :D

I also have Archiving turned on for GMail IMAP on my iPhone and it works the same way. All my gmail still comes to my desktop but I can remove them from the inbox on the phone. This is important since gmail is what I use for anything on the web and is the most likely place I will get spammed.

OP
G
Reaction score
ok hold on a sec, baggs how do i set that up on mac mail, i want it so as soon as mac mail gets the mail then the gmail server removes the mail from the server instead of reloading the same mails! i have no probelm with my iphone, i only et new mails.

help

OP
G
Reaction score
i went into my mail today, gmail downloaded 18 messages but none went into the mac inbox

super confused now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok hold on a sec, baggs how do i set that up on mac mail, i want it so as soon as mac mail gets the mail then the gmail server removes the mail from the server instead of reloading the same mails! i have no probelm with my iphone, i only et new mails.

help

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/at...-newbie-screen-shot-2011-05-23-9.31.40-pm.png

Make sure the box that says "Remove copy from server after retrieving message" is checked. Then from the drop down below it select "Immediately" vice "After one week" as shown above. This way once your Mac gets the e-mail it deletes it from the server.

gordiegords79 said:
i went into my mail today, gmail downloaded 18 messages but none went into the mac inbox

It downloaded the headers but probably determined that it had already read them and didn't display them (or they went to you junk mail folder). This will happen if your settings are not set to "Immediately" as I described above. I see my phone and laptop do the same thing all the time since they both are set to leave all mail on the server after downloading it. Mail periodically has to go back and check the headers for read/unread status to know what to display that is new. Mail keeps a database of the message headers it has already downloaded and what you did with them (file, delete, read, uread, Junk Mail, etc) and you simply saw mail checking it's database headers list against the gmail server.

OP
G
Reaction score
Baggs this is where my problem lies, i cant find that box! i have looked in the accounts, from preferences, i cant see the box "delete from server" is it on the mailbox behaviours section?

OP
G
Reaction score
ok i think i have sussed it, i have deleted the imap account and added a pop account, this enabled me to check the box remove from server immediately, i have tested it and all seem s to be well, for now, will keep you all updated, thanks for now.

Gordie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.